The Beerbug - Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Brewometer is interesting.

There are a few failed kickstarter campaigns out there. Apparently the BrewPi guy is working on something (that he won't reveal details about because he wants to patent it).

I've been toying with ideas to make something using this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10221 (the company that makes them also sells a chemical/food safe version for US$60).

My first thought is to seal it in a watertight cylinder, weighted at the bottom to make it float upright. I can see a few options and a few problems. I'm hoping me posting it here might give people ideas. You might also come up with a completely different idea by trawling through all these sensors.

Just bringing up an old thread to see if there are any good/bad reviews on these gadgets.

As I have some holiday time to tinker I thought I could pick up a new toy for the brewery.

Anyone have the brewometer? how do they compare to the Beer Bug?

Pictures of the iSpindel build.

It's almost working. Have flashed the firmware just setting it up on the wifi network at home.

1494385704499.jpg

1494385716892.jpg

I'm happy to help with printing. I wouldn't mind something like this if the parts are economical to buy.

Does anyone have the Beerbug? How has this solution matured?

It's come down a little in price, still expensive though.

Edit - If someone builds me the electronics for the iSpindel, I will print and post them drawer for free. Happy to pay for parts.

Lionman said:
I wouldn't mind something like this if the parts are economical to buy.
Yeah - I'll be weighing up the price of parts (and hassle of me doing it myself) versus the cost of a Tilt Hydrometer (at US$120).

kaiserben said:
Yeah - I'll be weighing up the price of parts (and hassle of me doing it myself) versus the cost of a Tilt Hydrometer (at US$120).
The Tilt is easier but it doesn't have WiFi which means you need a spare Bluetooth 4.0 device to capture the logs.

I think the iSpindel can just be hooked up to your home network and log to a machine on the local network or maybe direct to the cloud?

kaiserben said:
Mattrox, did you grab the parts from the list here: https://universam1.github.io/iSpindel/docs/Parts_en.html

I assume I'll need access to a 3D printer? (for the drawer)

Roughly how much did it cost you to get these parts?
I used ebay.

I had D1 wemos mini from a different project and thr gy 521 in a kit I perviously bought. Same with the resistors.

But priced out with what I recently paid it comes to $37.10

I bought 5x temp sensors for $4.62
The perf. board was 10 of the 3x7cm boards for $4.75

I messed up the 1st board I made so spares come in handy when thst cheap.

I can get the 3D print done at work free, but my public library has a 3D printer.

Well, it's not in the bottle yet. But it is sending data.

Just need the switch to arrive to finish it up.

I have been manually switching it by crossing the 2 tag ends of wires to be connected to the switch. Hehehe

1494415609731.jpg

1494415623741.jpg

Latest posts

Back