The Beer Pour - All In One Or Rest Halfway?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jez

Reaction score
Hi,

Last night while suffering through a few megaswills after work I noticed a barman pouring my schooner the old-school way - fill to half, let it sit for a few seconds then top it up. I got to wondering and thought I'd ask you educated chaps & chapettes - what are the benefits of pouring this way? why not just fill it in one go? I've poured a few beers, tried both methods and can't really ascertain any difference in taste......

Jez

Hi Jez, depends on the glass. Probably what you saw was the so-called "superglass" or something like that - AKA laser etched.

Keep away and stay with what works for you.

Wes

Jez, I happen to agree with the Lazy Brewer who gave you the answer to the same question of yours in the Grumpies Forum. It has nothing to do with taste. Just letting out some gas to control the amount of final head on the beer.

Keep on Brewin'
:chug:

Now Ray, you weren't at the pub where they balance $1 coins on their nipples were you? :p

Reminds me of a girl modelling bras & stuff in a bar I was at in Florida one night, she said "That's a funny accent, where are you from?"

I said "Australia." This was followed by a very bank look :blink:

"You do know where Australia is don't you?"

"No, come on, you're tricking me!"

I felt like proposing on the spot.

Duff said:
Now Ray, you weren't at the pub where they balance $1 coins on their nipples were you? :p

Reminds me of a girl modelling bras & stuff in a bar I was at in Florida one night, she said "That's a funny accent, where are you from?"

I said "Australia." This was followed by a very bank look :blink:

"You do know where Australia is don't you?"

"No, come on, you're tricking me!"

I felt like proposing on the spot.
[post="50751"][/post]​

Should of replied with "down under....come, i'll show you" B)

ok..being a barman for the last 12 years i'd thought i'd put my 2 cents in. Initially i was trained in the 2 step pour method and it is still the way I pour a beer. It has several advantages.

1) It gives a firmer, creamier, longer lasting head with smaller bubbles

2) When pouring more than 1 pot , schooner or pint at once if you pour all of them in one pour by the time you have finished the last one the first's head is going or gone. By doing 1/2 to 3/4 at a time then topping up, all beers will have relatively the same firm head.

Disadvantages

1) You need to know (and care about what you're doing), which from what I see when I go out is severely lacking in alot of hospitality staff here in Brisbane. I am sick of getting a beer with no head to speak of.

When having trouble with my new (at the time) keg system (half a glass of head anyone), i found that if you let the beer rest some time through the pour

1. the beer and the head seperate, this way if you pour off some of the head you
lose less beer.

2. the head (now with out the beer) will actualy rise and stay above the top of the
glass, about 1 cm (ie you can get more beer in the glass)

i still find this helpful when pouring the first drink of the session as it is usualy heady.

Latest posts

Back