The Beauty Of A Fresh Wyeast Pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
while in adelaide i had the opportunity to purchase some new packaged and fresh wyeast smack packs.
well 3 weeks down the track i smacked the 1056 today and the packaging said give it 3 hours to swell up.
well bugger me if three hours later the fat lady didnt sing.
never had this before so as they say fresh is best.
photos to follow.
brew day very soon

wyeast_pack_swelling_up_002.jpg

Be very careful "punching" the new blue WY packs! might be better just to pitch the whole packets, then pop the nutrient sachet and add the nutriens to the fermenter or starter bottle.

Have been able to manage the stocks so they stay fresh, only the odd ones, Lambic might stay in the fridge for more than a month or two

Jovial Monk

Awesome, looking forward to trying these :) then my last minute brews may not have such a lag time :)

big D, that blurry, over exposed picture is over a meg in size! I know we're brewers and not PC geeks in here, but can't we please scale down pictures to something reasonable - ie 50k or something?

You can do a lot with 50k. eg:
A kilo of hops in 49k:
kilohops.jpg

A bottle of DA in 10k:
DA.jpg

A pint glass in 5k:
PintGlass.jpg

My whole ******* kitchen in 35k:
kitchen.jpg

Total size of all my 4 pics: 99k
Total size of your one pic: 1036.66k

A meg takes me 3 mins to download over dial-up. Not to mention what it'd add to Dane's hosting traffic count once a hundred blokes have looked at it.

Sorry to be a bitch. I share the joy, I really do. I just hate having to download unnecessarily large pictures.

no worries pm
please pm me some time and let me no how to do this as im definetely no comp savy bloke.
maybe if you or others are up to speed on this please put in a forum header to let all of us with dig cams no the appropriate way to post so they are not over size.
(doh for me as i dont no)

cheers
big d

It would be possible to limit the size of pictures, but that'd ruin the occassions when large pics are called for. I'll PM you and we can chat about the ways to scale things down.

Anyway, that pic is honestly the first Wyeast pack I've ever seen. (Only ever used White Labs). That is the brilliance that is the internet :)

EDIT: Here's a 51K copy of your image. I just resized it to 20% height and width of the original using MicroSoft Photo Editor (built right into Windows 2000).

wyeast_pack_swelling_up_002.jpg

The new pack looks snazzy....first time Ive seen one of those

did anyone notice how many new blue wyeast packs pomo is hiding from her indoors against the back wall.
i noticed pomo just hope she doesnt notice where all the money is going to.your new wyeast library of stock well hiden. ;)

On the topic of yeasts, I just picked up a 1 litre bucket of yeast slurry from Gerard over at the brewery in Flemington. It is a 2nd generation White Labs Californian Ale that they use on the Pale Ale. This weekend is my first AG brew in 6 months, interesting to see how this slurry kicks off. I scored some WLP009, the now extinct Australian Ale yeast towards the end of last year which I thought was a pretty good yeast, has anybody any memories of this particular yeast? Apparently it is a discontinued line. I did a few ales on it but had to keep them in the fridge due to summer temps. I will look at a thermostat before spring.
catch Ya
Keith N

Latest posts

Back