The All Natrual Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwinchee

Reaction score
hello
i was on grumpys this morning and i bourt some Wuerttemberger ho ryzomes im going to grow every thing for a brew,yeast ,barley and hops(alredy got them) so wat do u think and where do i get the stuff to make yeast and barley
and will i need enything special :huh: :huh:
k hope u reply
:chug: :chug: :chug:

Sounds like a lot of work..

Can I ask why?

(Can't help answer your QU though)

Sounds like a lot of work..

Can I ask why?

Just what I was thinking...my yeast comes in packets or bottles, no idea how you would culture your own strains.
For barley, you would need a field, a plough and some seed for starters. How to harvest, dry, malt & crush it is probably something you could worry about once you've got your crop in. :rolleyes:

ok ok thats kewl i live on a farm
gotta find how to make yeast
well sluggerdog i want to make something from scratch to compear it to a kit
and another question how do i choose weather it a stout larger or ale i wana ale
k thanks :D :D

You can't "make" yeast. It is a living thing. You could try and culture some wild strain that might produce a beer you'd like to drink. Or you could just buy a decent strain and get into culturing or culture one from a bottle.

I don't think you can get all the answers by asking one question in a site such as this. With a little effort on your part, I'm sure you can find all the information you need on the www

If you are asking questions like "how do i choose weather it a stout larger or ale i wana ale" I don't think you are ready for the research and commitment required to make beer from scratch. Maybe ale a larger or a stout or too fust.

kthxby

Kwinchee,

Go to www.howtobrew.com and have a good read. Alternatively you could buy the book from any good homebrew shop. Everything a new brewer (or even an experienced brewer) needs to know is in there.

Good luck!

Have you got sand on your farm kwinchee?

You could make your own bottles as well , why go at it half hearted.

Batz said:
Have you got sand on your farm kwinchee?

You could make your own bottles as well , why go at it half hearted.
:lol:

Good call.

But howw doo I maek SAAAAANND?

kwinchee
are you an AG brewer already?
If you're asking how to make yeast and how to make a lager, stout or ale I am betting the answer is NO. If you are seriously asking those Q's you are nowhere near ready to do a beer from scratch. First do a bit of research on the web and learn about mash brewing (www.howtobrew.com) then surf a bit more and research how to malt you own grain (www.byo.com had an article).

The closest you will get would be to:
1. grow some barley - try www.edenseeds.com.au, they sell barley although it wouldn't be barley used for beer, but really you wouldn't be able to get it close anyway so who cares right?
2. grow hops. Easy enough you're already doing that, although you wont know the Alpha Acid of them to predict your IBU's of your beer, but that's not important.
3. The closest you'll get to your own yeast would be to leave the fermenter open and try to get some wild yeast in there. I'd nearly garauntee that it will taste crap but you may get lucky and find a tasty mixture of wild yeast and whatever else is floating around the place (dirt, mozzies, dead flies etc) if you do, keep some yeast slurry and use it next time.
I would suggest reading a few books and surfing the net to learn as much as you can first. What you are proposing would take a huge amount of knowledge, skill, time, and organisation.

Batz said:
why go at it half hearted.
Indeed, but bugger bottling! If you dig deep enough (have already? heh ;)) you'll hit some iron ore, which you could refine and eventually make your own kegs with. There's plenty of CO2 in the air too...
:D

Got any trees on the farm? You could have a go at being a cooper. Wooden kegs are ideal for all natural brews.

PostModern said:
But howw doo I maek SAAAAANND?
Rub two rocks together

This forum is starting to run like grumpys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back