The 2017 Melbourne Grain Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, one more plus for the fluted roller mill - I had an instant efficiency increase of 5%.
Been achieving 80%-82% with monotonous regularity, so its not higher efficiency I'm chasing, but an improved sparge. Thanks to the good work of MJ :cheers:, it makes more sense of buy a new mill than to replace the rollers with fluted variants.

Thanks to all for organising. I have only been to a few of these and this one was by far the most organised and smooth. As soon as I rocked up I had MJ's young fella throwing sacks of grain in the ute before I had even mustered up the motivation to start looking for my grain, awesome!
Cheers guys!

Ditto to the several posts above.
Big ups to Martin for getting CB on board with a massive CHEAP grain purchase, and to MJ for herding the cats to organize it all.
Also big ups to Mardoooo! (& Heath) for stepping into the breach of overseeing the splits, plus manhandling a lot of splitting himself.
Plus a big thanks to John for providing some much needed muscle.

Very smoothly run gig.
The idea of having someone oversee the splits, with bags opened so peeps can get their split whenever they're ready (rather than wait around for the bag holder to get their shit together and split the lot) worked really well. Definitely worth repeating.

Ditto!
Thanks to Martin, MJ, Nathan for the containers and the awesome guy (sorry forgot ur name I'm terrible) who weighed and helped with all my splits whilst I could keep an eye on my kids in the pram!
Very smooth sailing.

Also really good service from Martin and CB for some items with the 10% discount. $81 for a corny with new lid, seals, posts and pressure tested cannot be beaten!
Cheers all!

I'll add my vote of thanks to all those involved. You are all champions in my book.

Whilst I'm here:
....'a MYKI card, less one notch'. That's technical speak for setting roller clearance on a MillMaster with fluted rollers. Ripper.

Sorry to get all technical on you but you should be used to it by now. The way to set a mill roller gap is to feed a length of solder* through the mill whilst it is processing malt. Fish out the piece of solder and measure the thickness to which it has been squished: this will give you the actual "under load" mill gap. As the bearings wear the margin between the "under load" gap and the "no load" gap increases.

To get best use of this information, you should then sieve the grist produced at that setting through an ASBC sieve set and compare the sieve results at different settings and cross correlate with efficiency and lauter run times.

I'm going to assume you don't have a lab grade sieve set so if you really want to look at this you can borrow mine.

* lead free for preference.

Last edited:
And my thanks to all involved in organising this. Now to get stuck into filling some kegs :foammug:

Oh, and a quick guide to the beers i gave out to some of the main contributors (except Cocko, who looked dubiously at me & turned his nose up at my wild Belgian Mongrel IPA. Snobby fucker. Does a little work experience at a winery and then gets all precious about his piss :D).

XA = APA, with Mosaic & Cascade i think.
SW = Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone
OGB = Old Gold Brick, Old Speckled Hen clone that fermented out with a wild Belgian yeast instead of WLP-022 as intended.
TR = Totes Redballs, Red Ale that fermented out with a wild Belgian yeast instead of WLP-022 as intended.
BS = Brown Satin, Porter, you guessed it, that fermented out with a wild Belgian yeast instead of WLP-022 as intended.
MO = Mongrel brew dry hopped as an IPA, and fermented out with a wild Belgian yeast instead of WLP-022 as intended.
W12 = Westy12 clone from the case swap brew.

I'd be very keen to hear back any feedback, if you can be bothered. In particular the wild belgian beers - i *think* they've actually turned out reasonably well though obviously not as intended. However, i also know you can grow accustomed to your own bad beers :p.
So as such, i am NOT offloading shit beers, i am getting feedback from my respected peers.

And for the record, i do not have a problem with yeasts & infections. This was merely an anomaly.
Another one.

Quick shout out to Malt Junkie, Martin OC, Mardoo and everyone else for a very smooth bb day. Enough base grain for the year and a bunch of specialties to play with. Happy brewing!!

Was such a smooth and fast bulk buy, excellent work Gents. Thank you very much Martin, Mike, Madhu, John, Heath and Andrew. Also everyone else who chipped in! Great to catch up and I’m looking forward to using this grain!!

Thank you very much:
  • Malt Junkie & Malt Junior
  • Martin & CB
  • Mardoo & Heath for managing the splits & for the coil
  • ElTaco/Hugh for helping with my splits
  • Laxation for the hops
  • And everyone who was helping too & brought scales, etc
  • And DJ for the containers!
All champions!

Last edited:
Hey there folks, Did anyone end up with a sack of Weyermann Wheat Malt instead of a Weyermann Pale Ale?

I ended up with a Pale Ale instead of a Wheat Malt, and I don’t need the Pale Ale at all. Got 3 other sacks of pale to get through :)

I'll do a double check of droids order when I get home. But I don't think so. May have been mixed up with CB gear.

Not with mine or droids :( sorry dude.

BTW, I only just finished packing and sorting my hall, hope the Missus don't look the other side of the shelving.

Yeah, got halfway through mine. Third time lucky, I think I’ve finally hit on an inventory system that will actually work for me.

Thanks for checking. We’ll see what happens. There may be a fresh sack of Wey Pale going cheap soon ;)

I know I am a bit late, but thanks MJ and that Clever bloke for organising this! What a top notch affair. And it all seemed to run so smoothly, MJ didn't even raise a sweat when I was their (his son on the other hand :) )

Big thanks to Mardoo and Curly for helping with my splits. Was a little challenging having the rug rats their and trying to organise two different orders so I appreciate your helps!

Now to plan and plan and brew!!!!

Back