The 2006 Nsw Homebrewing Championships

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one odd question though. Weiz's Berliner being judged in the Belgian section? I would have thought a Berliner Weisse would have been judged in the wheat beer section.

Warren -

We use the BJCP guidelines (why re-invent a wheel that has already covered a lot of ground).

David

Then why allow the Nationals to be judged differnetly to state level then??

Just to revert or to some; retard to some very vague and dubious guidelines seems quite silly, example given was Russian imperial STOUT(Stout style in State) is going to be judged in 'Strong ale' at National????

Me thinks the wheel has a flat spot.......but another thread to cover this point...

Beers

Linz

David who is posting results after midnight which only indicates the amount of effort he has put in and all the others (not Scotty because praise will only make him worse :D ). The actual comp day is just the tip of the ice berg in regards to the work put in by all the hard working home brewers, so thanks to all involved.

Barry, Thanks for noticing - it has been a big weekend !

Got back late from Potters after the exam (too many great guys hanging around to leave), interviews with the local paper, check and re-check that the results were correct, add up the Champion Brewer (Well done again Barry) and Champion Club (there was only 1 point between the Hunter and ESB guys) and get it up on the internet.

Only have to stuff 600 pieces of paper into envelopes (the right ones I hope), get a new cartridge for my printer (it is just about as exhausted as some of the organisers) print some certificates, lick 55 stamps and post them off.

Then relax until next time.

Oh, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Potters beer is on tap in many pubs around Sydney etc - so ask for it at your local, or move to one that does have it.

But you do need to come to the brewery to get samples of the 'specials'.

Dave

Just one odd question though. Weiz's Berliner being judged in the Belgian section? I would have thought a Berliner Weisse would have been judged in the wheat beer section.

Warren -

We use the BJCP guidelines (why re-invent a wheel that has already covered a lot of ground).

David

Then why allow the Nationals to be judged differnetly to state level then??

Just to revert (or to some retard!) to some very vague and dubious guidelines seems quite silly, example given was Russian imperial STOUT(Stout style in State) is going to be judged in 'Strong ale' at National????

Me thinks the wheel has a flat spot.......but another thread to cover this point...

Beers

Linz

Hi Linz

Thanks for your help BTW - you worked like a trouper all day.

The Nationals is governed by a comittee drawn from the participating states - not everyone agrees on everything. After a lot of work we think that we do things pretty well in NSW, but other states are entitled to their opinion as well.

The National rules state that it is preferred that the states use the same guidelines but that it is not compulsory. We just have to do extra work to adjust the results to fit the National guidleines.

BTW there will be some vacancies for the NSW reps on the National committee soon if enyone wants to step forward and 'be part of the solution', just let us know.

Dave

Hi,

Picked up a first and a third (?) in the wheat section. Did a double decoction for the weizenbock, so I'm glad it was with the effort.

One question though. Was that 3rd correct? It only got 74, and someone else's beer is listed as a qualifier for AABA. Don't want to claim someone else's place.

Cheers,
Wreck.

Have to agree with everyone else on how well organised the weekend was. As it was my first time judging for real (not the training I did for BJCP exam) I must say that I felt I judged with a level of confidence that 8 months ago I didn't have. So a big thanks to Dave Lamotte for the journey through the BJCP styles over the last eight months.

Also a big thanks to everyone that participated in some manner in the comp, be it stewarding, judging or just being a very supporting fiancee (Hi Lara!) The atmosphere was fantastic for the whole weekend. No big egos just friendly people with a common interest.

As for the BJCP exam, as Trent said, "where did that three hours of my life go?" Quite an intense delving exam but appropriate for what we, the examinees, are striving to acheive.

Lastly, for those unfortunate to share a room with me at the YHA hostel, next year I will try and get a room by myself with sound proof walls so my snoring doesn't cause permanent hearing damage to fellow room mates.

A great weekend

Regards

Stephen

One question though. Was that 3rd correct? It only got 74, and someone else's beer is listed as a qualifier for AABA. Don't want to claim someone else's place.

Wreck,

Thanks for your honesty, but it is all ok. Sorry but you need to score a minimum of 90 to be eligible for the Nationals.

Robyn Brown is from Victoria and as a non-resident is not eligible for major prizes or to bump out any NSW qualifiers - hence you took third in the category. As there was no eligible NSW qualifiers for 3rd I believe that Robyn can go through to the Nats from our comp.

But I am waiting on confirmation from the Nats committee.

David

Wreck,

Thanks for your honesty, but it is all ok. Sorry but you need to score a minimum of 90 to be eligible for the Nationals.

Robyn Brown is from Victoria and as a non-resident is not eligible for major prizes or to bump out any NSW qualifiers - hence you took third in the category. As there was no eligible NSW qualifiers for 3rd I believe that Robyn can go through to the Nats from our comp.

But I am waiting on confirmation from the Nats committee.

David

Ok, no worries. Couldn't see it doing too well at AABA even if it was eligible. Keen to see how the weizenbock goes though.

Thanks to all the organisers by the way. Sounds like a pretty good day. I'll definitely have to come along next year!

Thanks,
Wreck.

BTW there will be some vacancies for the NSW reps on the National committee soon if enyone wants to step forward and 'be part of the solution', just let us know.

Dave

Thanks for the response David.

Little Squares would be interested, as would myself and probably many others.

How and when will this be announced??(maybe new thread time??)

I have one small question....

I know this is not determined by the state body but i have had a quick look at the guidelines for the AABC and My Roggenbier that qualified is not listed in their style listing under wheat beer as it was in the BJCP system.

Not complaining, just wondering if i should enter it under wheat and hope thay judge it or should i dump it in the dreaded "specialty" can of worns :blink:

cheers

I have one small question....
...or should i dump it in the dreaded "specialty" can of worns :blink:

"can of worns" "rice gulls" - You'll have to bring out your own phrase book soon Tony :p Congrats with the beer mate & good luck in the Nationals... :)

Well we got a mention in today's "Newcastle Morning Herald". It always amazes me what some journalists can do with a half hour conversation.

View attachment 9643

MHB

That's coming up as a damaged file, MHB. Can you repost it/link to the story?

I'm stoked that my Scottish 80/- got a 1st at ANAWBS last week and now a 3rd in the NSW comp, as well as qualifing for the nationals! Not too shabby for my 5th all-grain brew (the less said about the scores all-grain 1 and 2 got in recent comps the better!). The recipe is now up under "Spun's Scottish Surprise".

Cheers
Spun

Fixed

Cheers

MHB

Mark,

Nice job of scanning - thanks for taking the time to do it. That's one less job that I will have to do.

It would be nice to see what this week's Examiner has to say about their new local hero.

Dave

Back