Thawed Out Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsdalebrewery

Reaction score
Just thought I would let you in an experience I had. I did a Coopers IPA and added a few extras including hops and sugars. No big deal! Except on Cup day I asked my wife to put a few in the freezer.

When I got home my sister had brought some James Squire Ambers and I totally forgot about my own. They were thawed out 2 days ago and the taste is markedly different. It is alot smoother and has got me thinking about throwing a few more in there.

Has anyone done this deliberately or accidently and what did you think of the results?

Never tried a frozen commercial beer...

...but a few litres of pils froze in the keg in my fridge recently and when it thawed out and regassed it tastes absolutely foul. Sour/bitter and no body whereas before it was lovely and smooth with that saaz finish.

Anyone know what's happened? Is it fixable or should I just tip it?

Bazza said:

...but a few litres of pils froze in the keg in my fridge recently and when it thawed out and regassed it tastes absolutely foul. Sour/bitter and no body whereas before it was lovely and smooth with that saaz finish.

[post="89144"][/post]​
Could be that you had some yeast at the bottom of the keg. Freezing has autolysed it and thats what you are tasting. If its only a bit, drink it and each time remind yourself...Don't do that again.
cheers
Darren

scotsdalebrewery said:
Just thought I would let you in an experience I had. I did a Coopers IPA and added a few extras including hops and sugars. No big deal! Except on Cup day I asked my wife to put a few in the freezer.

When I got home my sister had brought some James Squire Ambers and I totally forgot about my own. They were thawed out 2 days ago and the taste is markedly different. It is alot smoother and has got me thinking about throwing a few more in there.

Has anyone done this deliberately or accidently and what did you think of the results?
[post="89090"][/post]​
Haven't done it myself (touch wood). I think beer like most biological products contains cold-precipitable protein. Once it has been frozen it remains precipitated (cannot re-dissolve). This could be a reason for why it seemed smoother.
cheers
Darren

Bazza said:

[post="89144"][/post]​

Bazza,

I had 5 kegs freeze on me while on a trip overseas - Once thawed, 3 were fine & 2 were awful. I filter my beers, so wasn't yeast or anything. I've no idea what caused the bad taste, but know exactly what you're experiencing - By the way, I tipped mine away...

Edit: I was away 10 weeks, so maybe 2 had started to turn before freezing, though everyone denied having gone near the fridge while I was away ;)

scotsdalebrewery said:

[post="89090"][/post]​

I have frozen beer in the keg before. I just thawed it out and it was fine. I wouldnt say that it improved it or anything.

vl

Ross said:
Bazza,

I had 5 kegs freeze on me while on a trip overseas - Once thawed, 3 were fine & 2 were awful. I filter my beers, so wasn't yeast or anything. I've no idea what caused the bad taste, but know exactly what you're experiencing - By the way, I tipped mine away...

Edit: I was away 10 weeks, so maybe 2 had started to turn before freezing, though everyone denied having gone near the fridge while I was away ;)
[post="89152"][/post]​

Ross,
Any reasons why there was a difference between the beers? Same styles? Clarity after filtering?
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Ross said:
Bazza,

[post="89152"][/post]​

Ross,
Any reasons why there was a difference between the beers? Same styles? Clarity after filtering?
cheers
Darren
[post="89156"][/post]​
To be honest Darren, couldn't even tell you what beers were on at the time - It was before AG, so a mix of kits & extract brews... Had a few problems with tank water as well at the time, so as I said, they could have been on the turn anyway - but tasted fine when I left...

Bugger I don't like the sounds of this :(

I checked my kegs last night and found my Pilsner which has been lagering for the past 2 months has frozen sometime in the last 3 days. Better thaw it out over the weekend and see how it is. I was saving that for the Boxing Day Test :(

Ive occasionally throw a few longnecks in the freezer (usually after having too many already) and forgot about them....(luckily none have exploded)...I thaw them out next day and blah! flat but wet, they arent the best.
Cheers
Steve

I was brewing for our local comp here and I had 6 kegs freeze all were my comp beers, after a lot of thought I just let them thaw out.

I got 2 first and 2 seconds to my amazement, all will be fine.

Stagger

Ross said:
Bazza said:

[post="89144"][/post]​

Bazza,

[post="89152"][/post]​

Yeah it's definitely not salvageable, so on the garden with it....thank Allah it's only a couple of litres!

Back