Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramo

Reaction score
Looking to start my first ever brew, I've been doing some reading on homebrewing by dummies haha i think i might be ready for the first batch. Don't own any equipment and looking to get some feed back if i should go with a ALL in one vessel or 3- vessel system. I've been looking at GF and RB all grain vessels. I've seen couple of different 3-vessel brands such as SS Tech, Spike Brewing, Blichman Eng or Nano Brewery by cheeky peak. This will be a garage project but also a long term investment that could possibly pay off in the future. Any feed back would be great!

Thanks!!

Welcome to the slipper slope Ramo.
A good cheap way in is doing single vessel BIAB, then it is down the slippery slope you go.

Welcome.
As Dae Tripper said, BIAB is a great way to get started. Many use a 40 litre hot water urn which is perfect for single batches.

We're definitely spoilt for choice these days with all the 'off the shelf' systems available.

In addition to the ones you mentioned there's also the Guten, which seems to be pretty decent bang for your buck.

hi Ramo
I've been doing BIAB in 40L electric urns with a simple circle of polyester material (Swiss Viole) since 2009 and although I've often considered a Robobrew if the urn dies, simply for a more compact garage system, I've won quite a few gongs, certificates, even a trip to NZ and other prizes with my competition entries over the years and can brew any style you'd care to poke a stick at.

reducetrub 2.jpg

For a new brewer I'd actually recommend the Robobrew - with one reservation - the main argument I have with the RB is the "compulsory" inclusion of an immersion chiller. I have always just cooled my worts by running into plastic cubes (called the No Chill method) and get excellent results. If you could buy the system without the chiller I'd even buy one myself to have fun with.
60 min special bitter.jpg

Welcome to the obsession.

Cheers

Bribie G

Welcome mate.

I'd highly recommend the grainfather if you're looking to "jump in the deep end." By that, I mean forking out a substantial amount of money before you know whether it's for you. In terms of ease of use, I can't recommend it enough.

I started out doing BIAB small batches in a 20L stock pot and quickly made the jump to the grainfather. 30+ 27L batches in now and no issues whatsoever.

Where are you based ramo? It's worth joining a club if you can.

+1 for Grainfather... or if you want to keep costs down initially, go with BIAB to get a feel for the whole all grain thing, then go from there.

My mate has a Robobrew but I honestly think, controversially, that my BIAB setup (same as Bribie) creates as good if not better beers with half the amount of fuss!

In light of recent personal experience don't forget all the other tools of the trade you'll need, try and factor that into your expenses. Getting good fermentation should probably take priority over the actual brewing/kettle part, I wish I had of researched that area more before I got started! To me, cooking the wort is the easy bit, it's the fermentation process where I've struggled every time and already I can see I need better equipment (and knowledge) to make that more successful...

hi Ramo
I've been doing BIAB in 40L electric urns with a simple circle of polyester material (Swiss Viole) since 2009 and although I've often considered a Robobrew if the urn dies, simply for a more compact garage system, I've won quite a few gongs, certificates, even a trip to NZ and other prizes with my competition entries over the years and can brew any style you'd care to poke a stick at.

View attachment 107691

For a new brewer I'd actually recommend the Robobrew - with one reservation - the main argument I have with the RB is the "compulsory" inclusion of an immersion chiller. I have always just cooled my worts by running into plastic cubes (called the No Chill method) and get excellent results. If you could buy the system without the chiller I'd even buy one myself to have fun with.
View attachment 107690
Welcome to the obsession.

Cheers

Bribie G

Thanks for the insight! Didn't think about getting an urn and doing BIAB, like i said before i'm really new to this. I did see a 40ltr NANO Brewery 304SS Electric Brew In A Bag by cheeky peak that has me interested for the same price range as the RB or Guten.

Crown urn the go to or any other brands out there? I seen couple of other ones but im not sure if they have been used for brewing beer...

Where are you based ramo? It's worth joining a club if you can.

South Coast

My mate has a Robobrew but I honestly think, controversially, that my BIAB setup (same as Bribie) creates as good if not better beers with half the amount of fuss!

In light of recent personal experience don't forget all the other tools of the trade you'll need, try and factor that into your expenses. Getting good fermentation should probably take priority over the actual brewing/kettle part, I wish I had of researched that area more before I got started! To me, cooking the wort is the easy bit, it's the fermentation process where I've struggled every time and already I can see I need better equipment (and knowledge) to make that more successful...

Still looking into the fermentors but prob going with plastic fermenters or glass carboy until i get better knowledge and funds for a stainless ones.

Last edited:
Have you got a fermenter and a brew fridge?

These are more important than what brewery you buy. The magic happens on the cold side.

Crown and Burko, both Australian made and high quality, but there are cheaper imported options.

In my opinion it's best to get one with a concealed element and you should also replace the original tap with a ball valve.

There are many options for fermenters also. Stainless has a lot of benefits over plastic. (Other than price.)

Looking to start my first ever brew, I've been doing some reading on homebrewing by dummies haha i think i might be ready for the first batch. Don't own any equipment and looking to get some feed back if i should go with a ALL in one vessel or 3- vessel system. I've been looking at GF and RB all grain vessels. I've seen couple of different 3-vessel brands such as SS Tech, Spike Brewing, Blichman Eng or Nano Brewery by cheeky peak. This will be a garage project but also a long term investment that could possibly pay off in the future. Any feed back would be great!

Thanks!!

Hello, Ramo! Welcome to the community. :) Everyone's so helpful; I'm sure you'll get all the brewing tips and suggestions you need. :) Happy brewing! :bigcheers:

Welcome ramo. Heaps to learn, eh. I'm taking ideas from this thread right now. Enjoy it. The guys aren't kidding about slippery slopes. It's quick to form an obsession. All the best.

Latest posts

Back