Thank Christ For Rice Hulls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
And God did shine a light into tonys garage........ a single beam of holy light.

It iluminated the empty bottle of Pilsner Erquell and tony did say.......... I shall breweth :party:

He did aquire bohemien pils malt, pils yeast and enough SAAZ to keep the good lord happy.

Brew day came, excited was tony, the had not made a pilsner before.

The ran all that bohemien pils, carapils etc through his mill to find fairly intact husks but a holy grail load of fine flour in the grist. tony was concermed, god raised an eyebrough and watched on in wonder.

Tony mashed in at 50 deg and rested a while. he may have even had a schwartzbier while he waited :chug:

He then pulled a single decoction and fiddle farted around with it for a while, resting, stiring, boiling, adding back, and he did cry YES.......... hit the target temp exactly.

God did go MMMMMMMMMMM and was pleased.

tony them indulged in more schwarzbier and did wait till conversion was done.

tony then turned on his pump to clear gods pilsner nad it was stuck..... ;)

Tony tried a few times to stir and go again bit it was totaly blockedeth.

Tony cursed and the earth shook......... tony appolagised.

And then the clouds parted and another ray of holy light shon in the garage.

Oh i hope he doesnt wast a stout now mumbled a disgruntled tony, but the light shone on a newly aquired bag containing 2 KG of rice hulls.

tony thus mixed ineth 4 liters of hulls and the sparge ran freely :party:

tony thanked the lord for his rice hulls.

(ended up with 86% efficiency)

lovely story tony now can you do it 'poe' style?

Jayse

Tony.

Sort of makes you realise the importance of a mashout in a decoction mash. Thinning the mash at this times helps a fair bit too. :D

You get a fair bit of protein sludge via the burst starch from a decoction and it makes for a muddy grain bed and for some of the husks to be slightly degraded. Not sure if it is possible but you may have fared better slowing down your runoff to the boiler. If you were using a pump you may have done better to throttle it down when recirculating. :unsure:

Warren -

a pilsner trub knock knock knocking at his chamber door!
:)

jayse.......... im not that clever :p

Warren......... very true. I will do the thin mash decoction for a mashout of about 75 deg next time :)

I have done this decoction a few times now and i do agree, it makes the mash a bit more like a wheat beer :eek:

the rice hulls worked great though.

cheers

Latest posts

Back