Tf Pale Malts.... Whats The Difference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference between TF Maris otter, Halcyon and Golden Promise pale malts are.

cheers

Tony

I think they are all different strains of barley, not sure of they are all floor malted or only some?

Tony said:
I was wondering what the difference between TF Maris otter, Halcyon and Golden Promise pale malts are.

cheers

Tony
[post="80254"][/post]​

Good question.
Maris Otter and Halcyon are both Winter barley, Golden Promise is a spring barley.
I'm not a techy maltster so I can't add much, but it might give you something more to look into.

Edit: A little more here

ahhhhhhhhhhh the "here" bit really helped

cheers

tony

The differences between UK malting varieties isn't huge and which one a brewery uses in the UK has as much to do with picking one and sticking to it (for consistancy) as anything else.

Golden Promise is pecularly Scottish, and is mostly only grown for Malt Whisky production these days.

BTW, that site needs updating. Beeston Maltings closed a few years ago when Scottish & Newcastle (who owned the building) decided to terminate the lease and sell it for development. :angry:

Sean said:
Golden Promise is pecularly Scottish, and is mostly only grown for Malt Whisky production these days.
[post="80306"][/post]​

Not forgetting the lovely "Timothy Taylor Landlord" brewed from Golden Promise...

Ross said:
Sean said:
[post="80306"][/post]​

Not forgetting the lovely "Timothy Taylor Landlord" brewed from Golden Promise...
[post="80318"][/post]​
Taylors are the obvious exception to the rule. But that's Taylor's for you.

And The orkney Brewry use golden promise for a couple of their beers.

Latest posts

Back