Test Run Of New Ag Equiptment W/ Coco Pops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I wanted to test out both my new boiler

DSC02003.JPG

and my mash tun so I thought I would use coco pops to simulate grain and see how well my braided hose filtered. I only used an immersion heater which heated about 40l of water in about half an hour(BTW does anyone here use only an immersion heater not a burner) I then transfered it to my mash tun with the coco pops.

DSC02006.JPG

I left it for an hour to see how well the tun holds the heat (only lost 3 degrees) and then I drained it, The manifold worked great and not a single piece got through. All in all it was a good learning experiance and I now have an idea of how all my equiptment will work together. I can't wait for the real thing!!!

Scotty

I bet your excited about your first non cereal mash day to come :D , congrats and I hope it all goes well.
I have ordered an immersion heater like yours for my HLT so I can set it early in the morning via a timer and get out of bed to mash in straight away.

Andrew

Mmmmm...watery coco pops :huh:

I left it for an hour to see how well the tun holds the heat (only lost 3 degrees)

Hey Scotty, what size is your MLT and how much water did you put in it and at what temp? I should try this to see how well mine hold the temp.

Jye

was there any science behind the choice of coco pops.?
how much is a kilo of coco pops compared to a kilo of grain.?

its amazing the lengths we go to to create a good beer .....but stealing your childs breakfast! That must be a first? :p

Yeah, I was about to ask if the kiddies are a bit unhappy at dad right now.

Hope you pay that back to the kids in crushed grain.

johnno

Hey guys stop pokin fun at me... It seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Jye, its about 38l and it was about 64 degrees when i left it and about 61 when i came back.

All that time and not a drop of beer or even a chocoate crackle to show for it. I would have though grain was cheaper than cocopops to start with. Perhaps honey smacks would have given a more realistic runoff :p

Borret

Mmmmm...coco-pops....a new ingredient for a porter perhaps?
Kenny, have you tried this from your pantry cupboard yet? :)
Cheers!

shouldnt you crush the coco pops to test the manifold ?

perhaps you could use hot milk next time & serve it up for breakfast ?
:)

Back