Terry Pratchett dies aged 66

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Dog

Beer
Reaction score
Just read the news. Angry that we've been deprived of so many more joyously silly rides through the wilds of his massive imagination. Been reading his stuff since my late teens and have just started reading the Nome trilogy with my son which has been a barrel of night-time laughs.

the news was announced via twitter:

Death: AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Vale.

Definitely will be missed, great writer. His TV show on assisted suicide was really interesting (I know that wasn't what happened here), something that has been debated a number of times in the Scottish Parliament.

Haven't read all that much of his stuff but I was always impressed how he would be in the middle of some ridiculous story and all of a sudden stumble into something so incredibly eloquent and poignant that you would re-read it a half dozen times before moving on.

This was my favourite one from Unseen Academicals:

“I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs, a very endearing sight, I'm sure you'll agree. And even as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged onto a half submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters, who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature's wonders, gentlemen. Mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that is when I first learned about evil. It is built into the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”

A tragic loss of intellect and insight - always expressed in a brilliant combination of deep and light comedy.
And a terrible way to finish his last few years alive.
A sad day indeed.

Yep. Tragic loss. Massive chest infection and complications from his alzheimers was the end cause apparently.

No more anxiously awaiting the next diskworld book every Christmas.

As Death said... THERE IS NO JUSTICE....THERE IS JUST ME.

So sad to lose another great! Have every one of his books on the shelf along side Iain Banks who we also lost in the past year.

Just finished rereading Interesting Times during the week and that leads into "The Last Continent" ....... and a beer!

Very sad and a great loss. Spent way too many of my uni nights reading his books instead of doing the study I should have been doing. Vale.

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”

Back