Terror suspect shot dead in Melbourne suburb.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blind Dog said:
And it would be so easy to become atheist. Most religions already reject most gods and are only 1 more god away ...
Yep, it's cause for hope alright. It may have taken thousands of years, but we've whittled down from hundreds to basically three. Getting closer to the true figure all the time.

Yep, re: PotUS forget the black man getting elected, forget a woman getting elected, when an openly avowed atheist is elected PotUS you will know there has been REAL change. The fact that Kennedy was Catholic was a huge issue at the time.

And in other news,
The governments budget deficit for the 2013-14 financial year has come in at $30 billion more than forecast, oooh look. A terrorist!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411628304.448383.jpg

Dave70 said:
They're probably worried they'll wind up as the topic of discussion on next weeks Q & A program with Tony Jones framing it as a 'home invasion'.
Wasn't that a disgraceful show?

Terrorism and anti terrorism is all just theatre?

God help us if Ann-Azza Aly is a an expert in anti terrorism.

Want further evidence that terrorism is alive and well in this country.

We now have a situation where Police and ADF officers have been advised not to wear their uniforms in public when off duty on their way to or from work for fear of being attacked by radicals

Wobbly

wobbly said:

We now have a situation where Police and ADF officers have been advised not to wear their uniforms in public when off duty on their way to or from work for fear of being attacked by radicals

Wobbly
Thats not exactly proof.

Police dont generally wear uniforms to and from work in general

Maybe you should stop reading the Murdoch press and get a real view of the world

wobbly said:

Wobbly
That means nothing on it's own. The ADF personnel who was assaulted today is more worrying, but he wasn't exactly beheaded, was he.
Asking cops & soldiers not to wear their uniforms off-duty is precisely the kind of thing that could be done to create the impression of an imminent threat.
As an aside, I once worked for a well known but not loved public service agency. We were often advised not to wear our ID tags in public.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
If two police can not defend themselves against one small guy with a knife with out killing him then they should not be doing what they are doing.
I am not anti police I actually had police in my family, none of them trigger happy I am happy to say.

There is a thing called the Reactionary Gap. Within 5 metres you have next to no hope of defending yourself against an attack with a weapon.
Defending yourself with lethal force when in fear of your life is authorised, justifiable and excusable under the Criminal Code in QLD and no doubt elsewhere.
You cannot shoot a hand gun to disable, it does not work, and when tense and under pressure would be even more unlikely.

indica86 said:
There is a thing called the Reactionary Gap. Within 5 metres you have next to no hope of defending yourself against an attack with a weapon.
Defending yourself with lethal force when in fear of your life is authorised, justifiable and excusable under the Criminal Code in QLD and no doubt elsewhere.
You cannot shoot a hand gun to disable, it does not work, and when tense and under pressure would be even more unlikely.
Ok I am sold lets just shoot them all.
QLD you rock !

QLD you rock !
Hang on a minute....its the Victorian Police who are trigger happy

The QLD police still use the Yellow Pages

Vic police have chilled out somewhat since shhoting a disturbed 15 year old kid in Northcote several years ago.

Chances are the powers that be in the stated case have decided this young bloke was a lesser threat and just needed settling down. The dawn raids, while effective at stopping bad guys from carrying out acts of terrorism, also stirred a hornets nest of anti-cop anti-establishment rhetoric that will bore the rest of the country to death for months to come.

For the cop haters, it's like this. If you've got a holstered weapon and some psycho dude decides to pull an edged weapon, you've got 5m of distance to react and 11m will be covered before you can actually get the fatal blow in first. There's rarely a second chance. Dickhead took a knife out to do damage and to martyr himself. End story. He got what he unfortunately deserved. I'm sure the officers, their wives and kids appreciate your most sincere wishes for a speedy recovery.

There's a vast difference between how the IRA work and how the Muslim Extremists work.

At no time in London were there thousands of IRA members running around in packs hunting women and children down in 4WD's shooting randomly, killing hundreds in each spree. At no time were there 6,8 10 or 30 innocent victims lined up in front of their families and executed by headshots or beheaded with swords.

At no time were there an estimated 50,000 terrorists in the IRA (something like 20,000 in Syria and 30,000 in Iraq)

About the only similarity that can be drawn is that both groups were fanatic radicals and both killed people. (Innocents) and both are bad situations that are difficult to deal with and live in.

For me, personally, i'd be happy to see the government create every necessary power to give to the appropriate authorities to make sure that getting on a plane a bus or train is safe. That's a ******* sad fact of life. If that means folk have to queue up for an extra 10 minutes at an airport, then so be it. Find some patience. If that means that a few thousand people get stopped in a public place and patted down because he's acting oddly, then so be it. Get over it and live life.

How much bitching would there be if Australia were overwhelmed by similar attacks to other countries and nobody had done jack shit to stop it happening? There's a price to pay for having open borders and being a bit careful is one of them.

The comment about desk workers doing the job of SERT teams doesn't even warrant an answer. You clearly have no idea.

Must be time for a beer.

QLD you rock !
That's a ******* stupid thing to say. I was trying to help you adjust you perception to the reality of Police defending their lives against someone who has stabbed both of them.
Obviously you know better.
I did not say shoot them all, or anyone for that matter.

indica86 said:
That's a ******* stupid thing to say. I was trying to help you adjust you perception to the reality of Police defending their lives against someone who has stabbed both of them.
Obviously you know better.
I did not say shoot them all, or anyone for that matter.
Don't take it personally, some people have an aversion to all things Queensland for some unknown reason.

Back