Tenting..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Looking for a few recommendations from those with experience in the area on choosing a tent big enough for two adults an a couple of young kids.
Needs to be fairly robust, quick to erect, waterproof and have at least an internal divide to segregate the kiddies.
Seems to be an absolute plethora to choose from, and no doubt many are flimsy shit with rubbish zippers that only last a few trips before the swearing begins.

cheers

we've got an oztent they claim you can put it up in 30 seconds, but it's actually more like 15 seconds.

Different sizes, ours is big enough for two adults on an inflatable double bed and two little ones down the sides. On dividers I think but have a look on their website, very sturdy and lots of options to attach stuff, even more tents.
Not cheap but looks like it'll last if looked after. Takes up some room on the car roof as frame is built in.

Highly recommend.

EDIT: oztent not patent...

We did the tent thing for a while then moved to swags. With a gazebo for communal feeding etc. Camping like most things you get what you pay for. A double for us and single for each of the kids. That makes 6 quality swags and they'll outlast the kids being home, though cost was a bit more than say the two Dune tents to the house all of us.

Thank non-existent deity. Was somewhat worried that 'tenting' was the Australian version of dogging.

We had a Coleman for years. Served pretty well in Aus, NZ and UK summers until we turned soft

Check out the Coleman instant up 8, have the 4 for just me and the misses and it is a ripper!

Blind Dog said:
Thank non-existent deity. Was somewhat worried that 'tenting' was the Australian version of dogging.
We had a Coleman for years. Served pretty well in Aus, NZ and UK summers until we turned soft
Liam_snorkel said:
Related to pegging?
I just googled dogging and pegging......

I used this tent around Tassie with the optional pole kit. Real decent tent and bevy duty and proper canvas. Maybe look at the tourer 10 for your size. Real easy and quick to set up also. (I didnt own the tent, I borrowed it of a mate, but I'd buy one if I wasn't a swag or Roof Top Tent man)

http://oztrail.com.au/product-range/tents-swags-camper-trailers/tourer-9-plus-canvas-tourer-tent-by-oztrail

http://oztrail.com.au/product-range/tents-swags-camper-trailers/tourer-9-9-plus-side-pole-kit-by-oztrail

Back in the day

erivpg.jpg

Dave70 said:
and have at least an internal divide to segregate the kiddies.

cheers
:lol: :lol: :lol: what planet are you living on? Good luck with that!

It pays to get one with a flysheet that goes over the whole tent to give you a better waterproof and insulation barrier, they really do help keep the heat down in hot weather.

It also helps if you have a little covered area at the entrance to take wet muddy or sandy boots off, and you'll really appreciate it when it's raining.

I think some of the newer tents also have places you can hang battery lanterns from the roof.

Check the screens are midge proof not just mossie proof, if someone in the family gets attacked by them it's good that they have a refuge to retreat too.

Have a pleasant none irritating air freshener for when the bedtime farting session goes into full concert mode, it's amazing how hearty, robust, and savoury your own ouput is compared to the putrid, disgusting, filthy sewer smells emitted by others.

Make sure you pick a spot to pitch your tent away from artificial light so that at night you can look into the heavens peacefully marveling at what your a part of. I've been across the Nullabour twice and talked to lots of people who complain how boring it is, but for me it made me feel real and alive by helping me put my priorities in life into proper perspective. It's a magical trip too make if you open your eyes and look closely at what your passing through.

gallery_5481_1331_556328.jpg

gallery_5481_1331_5226.jpg
gallery_5481_1331_164430.jpg

gallery_5481_1331_67719.jpeg

gallery_5481_1331_113500.jpeg
gallery_5481_1331_103771.jpeg

shaunous said:
I used this tent around Tassie with the optional pole kit. Real decent tent and bevy duty and proper canvas. Maybe look at the tourer 10 for your size. Real easy and quick to set up also. (I didnt own the tent, I borrowed it of a mate, but I'd buy one if I wasn't a swag or Roof Top Tent man)

http://oztrail.com.au/product-range/tents-swags-camper-trailers/tourer-9-plus-canvas-tourer-tent-by-oztrail

http://oztrail.com.au/product-range/tents-swags-camper-trailers/tourer-9-9-plus-side-pole-kit-by-oztrail

Ya want a proper tent that'll last years, buy proper Canvas. Like above, or the OzTent. Don't f*#k around with this rip stop, or nylon crap, (although my Roof Top Tent is Rip Stop and has endured a hammering)

Ducatiboy stu said:
Back in the day

erivpg.jpg
Obviously a seasoned rally goer and camper. Note how the bikes are leaning outward..

My memories were more along these lines.

Drunk-Camping-Fails-3.jpg

So canvas seems to be the go for the long term. Thousands of circuses cant be wrong I guess.

Thanks for the heads up on the urban slang also. Had a mate who use to go 'dogging' quite often. Now I know those giant Bull Arabs and Hilux ute with cages was just an elaborate ruse. Dirty bugger..

I stopped counting Nulabour trips at 16 and have done .any times since even did it in my little suzi (top speed of 127 down hill with a tail wind) . I still have some bits I have to go back to check out.

Roof top tent on a trailer for me. Parents up top kids down the bottom.
Plan is that eventually, when the kids are a little older, we will shift the kids into their own tent away from use (we will go a centre pole type tent with side pole conversions)

OzTents are great - B​UT they do take up a lot of room - the large units will require a roof rack. On the other hand they are flexible - two can be joined together with a "room" between made up of the awning.
My preference is for to​ouring tents (center pole type). I've done a lot of camping and these IMO are the best. They start around $3-400 for a chinese/indian made unit but they're $1k+ for an aussie made one made with aussie canvas.

Don't go for a dome tent. Dome tents are awesome as a light weight hike tent but shit house as a family tent. You'll curse all day with a dome. ​

Latest posts

Back