Temps For Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy007

Reaction score
G'day all,
As a relative newbie to home brewing I have just discovered the need to keep the brew at low temp whilst fermenting. This is proving a bit difficult in my garage in Perth at the moment. Any ideas besides the obvious one of getting another fridge?(will happen down the track when funds avail ). As a related issue what is the by product of higher temps? It has been quite hot for my last 2 (lager) brews. Are any beer types less suceptable to higher temps than others?
Thanks in advance and cheers.
:party:

Just found my questions answered on another thread...
cheers and beers.

Welcome to the site Ziggy

Any ideas besides the obvious one of getting another fridge?(will happen down the track when funds avail ).

I found that clearly the most improvement I made to my brews was to have proper temp control for fermentation.
This is extremely important for true lager yeasts and of course if you have spent the time to do a full or partial mash as well.
IMO it is as important as sanitation.

Cheers and good luck with your brewing

Fridges.... One of the cheapest parts of homebrew ;)

Another Perth brewer...
Asher for now

Check the local papers for a second fridge, I picked up a fridge for $20 which works nicely. 400 Litres...

(Found in the Courier Mails Weekend Shopper - QLD)

Ooooh Ziggy your beer would have suffered in the shed yesterday. Temp in my shed would have got up close to 50*C yesterday.

Last year I didn't brew from New years through to late March. But I got my fridge from the tip last weekend for $20!

Making the starter tonight. Brewing on Sunday.

(Still excited...)

Anyway, welcome to another Perth brewer.

I cannot control my fermentation temps when it gets hot either. So I don't brew between December and March. Late October is usually fairly active, getting enough brews down to last over the hot weather.

Even out of these times, you can get a hot spell, so keep an ear on the weather forecasts and time the brewing accordingly.

You need plenty of bottles, kegs and secondary fermenters to hold the supply.

If your house is airconditioned, that would be a great spot for your beer.

Easy options such as blocks of ice and wet towels work well, but not at 50 deg room temp.

At high temps, the beer ferments really quickly and will taste "unusual." Fruity, estery, harsh.

I got a 100 can cooler or esky from Kmart the other day and am hoping to do ales in it, with the frozen 1.25's in there I should be able to keep an ale at 18-20oC I hope. I'm using a tube for an air lock so I can close the lid, it goes into a Grolsch bottle filled with water that is no longer suitable for beer.
100_can_bag.jpg100_can_cooler.jpg100_can_fem_bag.jpgfementer_bag.jpg

Good one Wort.

It is amazing how easy and effective low tech solutions such as insulation and frozen iceblocks are.

Just a suggestion, change the blowoff tube collection bottle to something plastic. It is going to get kicked or bumped somewhere down the track.

good idear :) Thanks PoL I can now see that happening my self! A brew in the hand and one in the fementer and a bit of bottle soccer!! :beerbang:

Hey that looks cool Wort.
I put my fermenter in the bathtub at the moment and put hte frozen 1.25L bottles in the water but that looks a lot more manageable.
Can put anywhere and easy to take gravity readings...

Anyone know if kmarts in Sydney stock these?
Or anywhere else? How much?

thnaks,
Rich

[QOoooh Ziggy your beer would have suffered in the shed yesterday. Temp in my shed would have got up close to 50*C yesterday.
UOTE]

I spent 7 hours in the brewery yesterday at 45c, is that commitment or stupidity?

Ziggy try the Quokka for cheap fridges.

Good Day
Not brewing from Dec to March! I would suffer from massive withdrawal symtoms. Under the house stays in the low to mid 20+'s and I get away with brewing bitters, porters and stouts etc. Not brewing? I would have to get another life. i don't know how POL does it.

Barry said:
Not brewing from Dec to March! I would suffer from massive withdrawal symtoms.

I think you should have a break from brewing and give some others a chance in the comps :p . Another 6 or 7 clocks from Bathurst this year?

Cheers
Pedro

Good Day
I have two types of beers for Bathurst this year, too old and too young. Packed them last night and gave some of the really young ones a shake and a prayer.
I will be going to Bathurst again this year and can hardly wait to meet up with everyone again.
Anyone else going?

There are two of us plus wives going from Adelaide again. We may have a 3rd taker, but he is a definite maybe at this stage.

Cheers
Pedro

Hi all,

I've been brewing only since August last year and did my first all grain in October I think, with the use of a mates equipment. My room too gets pretty high temps but i've found that a wet towel and placing the fermenter directly in front of a crappy 20 year old air conditioner seems to work well enough. However, i'm planning on shopping for all the bits and pieces for my own all grain set up in the next couple of weeks, so will certainly keep an eye out for the 100 can cooler - fantastic idea and could you get a better fit?!?!?- will post the details if I manage to find one in SA.

Anthony Mac

Good Day Pedro
I worked out who Chiller and Brad were easily but I was slow on the uptake to work out who "Pedro" was. Looking forward to having a couple of beers with the SA crew. You must be keen given the distance.

Barry said:
Looking forward to having a couple of beers with the SA crew. You must be keen given the distance.
[post="45888"][/post]​

Barry

Bathurst is a great comp and well worth the travel, even from SA. You're shouting the first beer!

Cheers
Pedro

Back