Temple Brewing in Liquidation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard this last night and was very disappointed. Ron and Renata are great people and Temple make great beers.
Hopefully they get to continue doing what they enjoy somewhere else with less stress and less responsibility.

probably because Manticle moved out of Brunswick..

..seriously though, thats pretty shit, thought that was a great venue.

ed: damn.. he beat me into it

Will miss their Oatmeal Stout.

Won't miss their miserly bar-food and overpriced drinks prices. There's usually a reason businesses go out-of-business in a growing (craft beer) market.

WarmBeer said:

Won't miss their miserly bar-food and overpriced drinks prices. There's usually a reason businesses go out-of-business in a growing (craft beer) market.
Very true, they seemed to spend too much time being pretentious beer ponces and not enough time kicking goals on the business side. As Jamil says, it's not about making good beer, anyone can do that, it's about making sure your beer sells strongly. The way I see it the only way to stay in the craft beer market in Australia in the long term is to make sure you have a main product that gets the s**t marketed out of it/sells itself and then do your little quirky beers on the side.

Temple Midnight IPA was absolutely delicious.. I will have to buy all the bottles I can now.

WarmBeer said:

Must have changed since I was last there. Food used to be great and I never found the prices over the top. Haven't been for quite a few months though.

No!! They had some brillant beers on tap when i had the pleasure to vist them. I would have made the trip out there next time i was in melbourne for shore.

Was there a few months back, the beers were good, the food was OK too! yeah a bit on the high side on cost but you expect that in a fancy place. I tried to ask a few people behind the bar about brewing and they just stared back at me blankly.. a shame another place down the drain, just need more of these types up in Sydney!

Seems like some people here frequent the place and love the beer, maybe ask them to release their recipes to home brewers, if they're not going to be around anymore?

The recipes and brands are forming part of the business sale in the liquidation.

Second best brewery in Australia behind Feral I would say
what a shame

I haven't been to the brewery but I think it was Temple who brewed a Belgian for the inaugural AHB conference in Melbourne. It was sensational. All the other beers that were matched to the courses provided the actual recipes but Temple didn't because it was their proprietary recipe. I always thought that was the wrong decision.

I hope the owners don't lose too much skin in the process and wish them all the best.

tiprya said:
The recipes and brands are forming part of the business sale in the liquidation.
So what exactly is the story there? Another brewery will buy and brew their recipes?

slash22000 said:
So what exactly is the story there? Another brewery will buy and brew their recipes?
The recipes themselves are worthless. The brand names may or may not be worth something but I would doubt it.

If someone wants to buy the business and continue to market the 'Temple' brand, they would want to use the proper recipes.

I doubt it will go like that, more like it will get parted out, equipment, premises etc and the brand and recipes will disapear.

It is a shame but the impression I had when I went there was that it was - as suggested earlier - "poncy". I paid waaay to much for two pints of good beer, it wasn't even that fantastic but perhaps it was my choices. I do remember that my wife was the only woman in the venue which was relatively busy. When women don't go somewhere you know something is wrong.

That being said I probably wouldn't have ever returned because of that impression, whereas I go to other breweries very often.

Alehouse Project is less than 50 metres around the corner.

Funnily enough, the time I went, they had the Temple Midnight IPA on tap for 50c per pot less than at the actual brewery. So much for the costs of logistics ;)

Latest posts

Back