Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey6

Reaction score
Does the fermenter temperature control flavour of beer for instance have done two brews exactly the same completely different taste, first one was no temp control around 22-24 degrees, next was temp control 18-20 and the non temp control was better. It was an American pale ale cascade and galaxy dry hopped

Absolutely temperature influences beer flavour. Yeast create certain types and amounts of chemicals which add or detract from flavour. Temperature is one of the main influences on what and how much.

I've got my fermenter fridge full at the moment and would like to pump out a couple of quick brews for a party in 2 weeks. Any suggestions on particular yeast brands and beer styles that cope best with a bit of temp fluctuation. I should be able to have them sit around 22-24 at the moment.

if you want fast then a Saison yeast with a good dose of wheat at 28degC gets the gig in my mind

Aren't Saison yeasts notorious for fermenting quickly to start with then taking ages to drop the last few points?
Ed: as for fast fermenter a, Irish Ale yeast 1084 is an animal. Handy for a simple English pale or stout ideally. A wheat yeast like 3068 wraps itself up in a few days and weissbier using it will absolutely be drinkable in a fortnight.

For a party soon? I couldn't agree on the Saison. Maybe depend on the crowd but Saison is an Acquired taste rather than a crowd pleaser. Every Saison I've made was best after 6 months. My experience.

TheWiggman said:
Aren't Saison yeasts notorious for fermenting quickly to start with then taking ages to drop the last few points?
Ed: as for fast fermenter a, Irish Ale yeast 1084 is an animal. Handy for a simple English pale or stout ideally. A wheat yeast like 3068 wraps itself up in a few days and weissbier using it will absolutely be drinkable in a fortnight.
Yeah but 24 degrees?*

Only Belgian saison strain behaves that way and only if you let the temp drop. Keep that one up around 29-30.

*from memory Bribie has run that 1084 yeast warm with good results. Not sure how warm though.

reckon i can get a saison brew to brain in around 10ish days?

i've got a bright ale ready, an APA half empty, an IPA finishing up in a few days to free up the fermentor fridge, then i'll throw in the parched as pale ale with nottingham yeast in there because i know thats a fast beer and have done it 6 days brew to brain before, so not afraid of scaring people off with a saison style ... just wanting another one thats not going to taste like rotten bannana if fermentation temps aren't perfect and rise a bit high.

Was thinking of trying tony's bullshead saison but with danstar belle saison yeast, as it claims to ferment out in under 5 days

Coopers yeast recultured from the bottle into a darkish beer will produce a passable result quickly, especially at 20+C temperatures.

Back