Temperature with STC1000

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhay

Reaction score
I set up my STC1000 yesterday in the fridge that I just purchased (wine cooler sold and gone).Have only this morning attached the probe to the side of the fermentor.Up to now the probe has just been sitting in the fridge. Checked the temp on the stick on thermometer and although the stc 1000 is set at 18.7 the stick on says the temp is 14'.Big difference and I think the yeast has gone to sleep.Is this range of temp normal and should I set stc 1000 higher.

Can you calibrate your STC? Stick the probe in water chock full of crushed ice and make sure it reads really close to zero. If it's out you can adjust them via one of the F functions, it's in the instructions.

The difference between the temp of the liquid and the ambient temp can be quite a lot. If you've now attached the probe to you fermenter the fridge will most likely turn off until the temp in the fermenter goes to 18ish. Once that's done, hopefully the yeast will wake up. If not give the fermenter a gentle swirl to suspend the yeast again.

wbosher said:
The difference between the temp of the liquid and the ambient temp can be quite a lot. If you've now attached the probe to you fermenter the fridge will most likely turn off until the temp in the fermenter goes to 18ish. Once that's done, hopefully the yeast will wake up. If not give the fermenter a gentle swirl to suspend the yeast again.
one of my mates had the same thing happen. he now has the sensor against the fv and has sensor covered with a beer cooler material with an ockie strap holding it on...workd spot on he says, cheers Ned

jhay said:
I set up my STC1000 yesterday in the fridge that I just purchased (wine cooler sold and gone).Have only this morning attached the probe to the side of the fermentor.Up to now the probe has just been sitting in the fridge. Checked the temp on the stick on thermometer and although the stc 1000 is set at 18.7 the stick on says the temp is 14'.Big difference and I think the yeast has gone to sleep.Is this range of temp normal and should I set stc 1000 higher.
Glad your now measuring the fermenter and not some random object, ensure you cover the probe so it only reads the wort temperature. You said the stick-on says 14, the stc is set to 18.7, but what temperature is the stc saying after you attached it to the fermenter? It the stc also shows the 14'ish then you are all good, it will warm back up and yeasty boys are happy.

QldKev

Yes the range of temperature is normal in the situation you had it. i.e. you say it was just in the fridge but now you have attached to the side of your FV.

Leave it on the side of your fermenter and if your wort is at 14C, which you say it is, and provided the STC is programmed for the correct ferment temp then it should start your heating device and eventually raise the temperature of your wort accordingly.

Take a gravity reading now and check again tomorrow, if it is the same the chances are your yeast is dormant. Just give your FV a gentle swirl to help but if you have an airlock be aware of fluid getting sucked into the FV from this. This is not necessary but will help wake up your yeast.

Maybe I read this wrong, I thought jhay was saying the temp difference is happening after he attached the probe to the fermenter? Reading it again now, it doesn't actually say what temp the probe is sensing once attached to the FV.

There seem to be two popular ways to position the probe for the STC...either stuck to the fermenter with some insulation covering the outside of it (bubble wrap/piece of stubby holder), or probe dangling in a container of water to simulate the wort temp. There are some who put the probe actually IN their wort, but they seem to be in the minority. But definitely don't just leave it hanging loosely in the fridge, the stc will be working overtime trying to adjust the temperature of air...

I think I found the problem.The calibration was set to .I changed that to 0.0 and the stc 1000 (which is now against the fermenter) reads at 42' which is near enough to the strip thermometer.Oh the whoes of the uninitiated.If anybody believes I've got it wrong please tell me.Thanks for all the comments.

Sorry the 6 on my keyboard does regiter.The calibration was set to 6 and now changed to 0.0

check the probe in an ice slurry ,it should read 0 and do not really on one of those stick on fermenter thermometers they are completly and utterly useless.

Or just buy the stainless steel probe for $30 and stick It in the fermenter. Probably the best 30 bucks spent for the amount of quality control you achieve. I would never go back to ambient temps, just didn't feel right too me.

eddy22 said:
Or just buy the stainless steel probe for $30 and stick It in the fermenter. Probably the best 30 bucks spent for the amount of quality control you achieve. I would never go back to ambient temps, just didn't feel right too me.
recommendation on stainless steel probe to suit stc1000? link?
cheers
pat

carniebrew said:
There are some who put the probe actually IN their wort
In a thermowell in the wort, just clarifying

how is the thermowell any better than taping the probe to the side and insulating it with an old stubbie holder or bit of styrofoam?

G'day Beerhog,

The thermowell will give a more accurate reading than the insulated taped on method as the stainless steel thermowell is a much better conductor of temperature than the FV wall. Also with the thermowell you will be taking a reading from a point within the brew, rather than one at the edge of the brew.

Regards,

Andrew.

Stux said:
In a thermowell in the wort, just clarifying
Is there any reason not to just dangle the regular probe in the wort? That's what I do and I haven't had any problems. You just have to sanitize it first.

I have mine on the side, I am not against having it in the wort,I think it would definitely be more accurate, but being a glad wrap and o-ring guy I am a little suss on running the probe wire under the o-ring.
Am I being paranoid about giving any possible nasties a spot to leech in ?

Will look into the Beer Belly Fermowell, thanks Stux.

I'd rather have stainless steel in my wort than a rubber probe. Plus I use tempmates, and I don't think their probe is water proof

Back