Temperature Variations In Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterS

Reaction score
Asher in the Mash Rig Control Centre made me think of my HERMS set-up. His message partly read:

"I have thermometers at the outlet of the mash tun & on the return line just after the heat exchange in the HLT. this way I know when the whole mash has been recirculated by checking the tun outlet gauge and can constantly monitor the return(desired mash) temp and tweak it by utilising the bypass ...."

I have only used my new HERMS Set-up once. I am using a 50L keg for my HLT with a HERMS coil, temp is controlled by a digital temp controller. My MLT is another keg that is insulated with a camping mattress.. I have a Bi-metal Thermometer at the outlet of my MLT and I monitor the top to middle of the mash with a digital thermometer. I noted that there is as much as 6 degrees on either side of the desired temperature (12C difference from top to bottom).

My question is how much can one raise the inward temp (the HLT temp) in order to get the wort to the desired temp whilst recirculating the wort via a pump, and from what moment should one start to time the rest. In other words, how can I reach and maintain 67C the best possible way for an hour and when shell I start counting the time?. I am deliberately overlooking the obvious here to make my learning curve easier to manage from your replies.

:chug:
PeterS....

It seems I might have to rewrite this topic later. 77 views and no replies.
I'll think about for awhile.

Cheers.
PeterS....

Ok only to get this ball rolling, I briefly read in noonans, when he wrote about decoction mashing, that most of the enzymes are in the thin part of the mash.

I would be worring about the thin part, that is the liquid part.

No a definative answer but atleast it gets the topic going.

K

I know what you are talking about Peter

I take temp readings in my mash ton when its atationary and it can be from 63 to 68 deg depending on where you test

Thats why i built the system i have.

To be honest i dont know if it will work or not.

I have had 2 different lines of thought on keeping a constant temp in the mash.

1 is insulation. I think that this is going to have to be an imprtant part of mashing in a keg. The heat radiates out too fast, especially in the winter and makes it hard to keep the temp uniform through out the mash volume.

2 is the method of liquor return

I have seen many pics of the return with 4 up turned outlets the dribble the liquor on the surface of the mash

I have a problem with this. Im sure it works well but the whole HSA debate kind of makes me nervous. I have built one though and will try it to see for myself.

I currently have a basic return that feeds back into the mash in the center . I am toying with the idea of facing it so it pumps the mash in a circular or wirlpooling motion. I have hopes this will both mix the mash and keep the temps on the outside, which are traditionally cooler, more consistant.

cheers.

tony

Latest posts

Back