Temperature Testing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently cooling my fermentation by placing my FV in a tub (just like a storage tub) of water and wrapping around towel around the FV with the bottom in the water. This keeps the temperature around the 18-20 mark and I can always add ice packs or something if I need to drop the temp.

My problem lies in the fact that i had a stick on thermometer, though as this is submersed in water it has become waterlogged and does not function correctly. So the question is if I just take the temperature of the surrounding water would this give me an idea of the temperature inside the FV? Or is there another solution to taking the correct temp reading?

Thanks.

I'd think that the temperature of the water-bath is going to be close-enough-to-be-good enough for that kind of setup (it's what I'd measure in that situation).

Hi Blitzer,

I used to use a similar method...measuring the temp of the water will give you a close enough reading.
I tested it once by taking a temp reading of a hydrometer sample vs. the water bath temp...spot on.

Cheers,
Jake.

slightly OT but I found those stickon temp gauges as acurate as the Melb weather forcasts!! I got a digital laser thermometer off fleabay $18 delivered from China,just point/pull trigger and you get an instant temp readout from up to 8mtrs,tested against STC 1000&Fowlers preserving stick therm it was within 1*c perfect for yeast addition & steeping

not good at posting links[comput dumb]but type in gm300 digital thermometer in ebay search there are a few, the seller was sitedv88 hope that helps, also was from hongkong not china
Russ

Back