Temperature Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
Anyway, I need to know what temperatures you all keep your wort at when it is fermenting. This is because I have been getting different information from different sources.

I was told that a good rule of thumb is that ales should be kept at 22-24C and lagers (assuming you are not using can yeast :blink: ) to be kept at 10-12C

But on this forum I've heard much lower temperatures, especially for ales.

So... how do I determine what temperature I should keep my wort at? Is it different for different yeasts? Would different tepmeratures leave different flavours in the beer (apart from if it goes way too high, which of course is bad)?

Any help would be great.

:chug: :beerbang:

Peas and Korn
I use 1084, 1968 and 1272 for alot of my ales, and I tend to keep them in about the 18-20C range. Ya could go higher than that if ya wanted more fruity charactersitics (I think) in yer beer, but I find I get the best results at around 18C.
I didnt click onto the links sluggerdog put up, so I dunno if they say the same thing, but I reckon maybe keep the yeast around the lower end of the recommended, just incase it raises by a few degrees with fermentation heat. My 2c anyway.
All the best
Trent

I always ferment ales at 18c, except of course for a weizen which I will ferment around 20c to increase the flavours and aromas produced by that yeast. lagers 12c.
I prefer to ferment cool as it tends to give a cleaner profile to the beer.

cheers
Andrew

Hmm... I can easily get 20C/18C where I keep my fermenter...

I'll give a cooler temperature a go in my next few batches to see what that does to the flavour.

Trent- yeah, I do like quite a fruity flavour to ales, which is why I haven't had a big issue with what I have produced so far. I will be trying the lower temperatures, since I want to see if it elinminates a few elements I do not like.

i think thats your best bet p&k i have looked into the very same topic and thats the conclusion i came too 18/20 for ales & 12 for lagers.
and what are the elements that you don't like in the batches you've done so far ?????

HOw about the pitch at 12*C and ferment at 18*C for ales, as the sum of the two add to 30. Dont know where this comes from but a few people at the local brew club swear by it.

pitch at 12*C and ferment at 18*C for ales

I think this rule is used for Wheat beers to promote a longer lag phase as this is when alot of the typical weizen flavours are produced...

Asher for now

Asher said:
pitch at 12*C and ferment at 18*C for ales

I think this rule is used for Wheat beers to promote a longer lag phase as this is when alot of the typical weizen flavours are produced...

Asher for now
[post="81998"][/post]​
Yep I would agree with Asher and this is what I do with weizens. the ideal is to pitch at 12 and let it rise slowly over 3 days to 18

AndrewQLD said:
I prefer to ferment cool as it tends to give a cleaner profile to the beer.

cheers
Andrew
[post="81934"][/post]​

Ditto!
Cooler the better I say , 18c for Ales would be my max.
I tend to the min. temperture range of the yeast

Batz

Cheers! I'll make a point of doing all that when I start my next one... and bring down the temperature of my current one...

Last brew that I had actually started fermantation @ about 26-28 but it ended up now dropping down to 18-20 degree's 5 days after I originally put it on and now is probably a day off completion will this affect it @ all its a ale.

DrewCarey82 said:
Last brew that I had actually started fermantation @ about 26-28 but it ended up now dropping down to 18-20 degree's 5 days after I originally put it on and now is probably a day off completion will this affect it @ all its a ale.
[post="82060"][/post]​

DC,

Starting temp there is a bit too high & your actual brew was probably fermenting a few degrees higher, if this was the temp before the yeast kicked in.
Result will be a more fruity tasting beer, maybe just to your liking, so don't panic...

Back