Temperature query in primary fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deveddy9

Reaction score
Hi All,

Onto my second ever batch, first one being a lager and tasting ok. This time trying a Coopers Pale ale.

I use an internal heater (fish tank style) to moderate my temp at around 22 degrees. On my first brew I only left it in the barrel for around a week before bottling, it appeared all fermentation had ceased (no bubbling).

Since jumping on the forums I have noticed most advice suggests that I leave it in the barrel for closer to 2-3 weeks? Is this correct?

And if so, do I leave the heater on at the same temp the whole time or after it stops bubbling do I turn the heater off and just let it sit.

Cheers.

I wouldn't even be using a heater inside the fermenter in the first place. Fermentation generates its own heat.

Anyway, the beer only needs to be left in the fermenter until it reaches final gravity plus another 2-3 days to let the yeast clean up a bit. Don't take any notice of bubbling to determine this, use a hydrometer - two identical readings in the expected range a day or two apart indicate fermentation has ceased. Generally it'll take around a week, give or take.

18-20 degrees is a better temperature for ales if you're after a cleaner flavor, 22-24 works if you want more esters from the yeast.

Back