Temperature help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscarman

Reaction score
Hey!

I have just started fermenting a pale ale, probably the 5th beer i've made. The temperature of the beer has been sitting at 22 - 24 C for a couple of days, but today (day 3) the fermometer showed it was sitting at 26. I chucked it in the bathtub with some ice and water and put a fan on it, and it has slowly gone back down to 24, but it is still warm.

I have to work over the weekend, and according to the forecast, it won't be below 30... I have housemates who will want to shower.

So any advice on how to keep this bad boy cool while i'm at work? I don't have the money or space for a temperature controlled fridge...

Thanks!

I'm stuck with a similar set up, but sit my fermentor in an esky. Keeps the temp at 18-20 no probs in the heat (don't use a fan either).

Hope this helps.

AJ

i got an old 170litre fridge cabinet i sit my fermenter inside with a couple of bottles of frozen water.holds temp about 20 degrees.in winter i use a 25w globe to keep warm

I'm thinking about just letting this one go, it's almost finished primary anyway.

I can just say it was meant to taste like that.......

Will being on 26C for a day affect the flavours much?

As above said 18 - 20 is the general rule for ales, unfortunately once its up there is not wise to drop them temp. the yeast may go dormant due to the drop in temp. It'll be fruity.

you could convince your flatmates not showering for a week is the least they could do if they want to enjoy this and future brews,

good news is its coming into ale brewing weather through march to may so maybe go hard then

Latest posts

Back