Temperature Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shmick said:
DB,
You didn't happen to pop the Jaycar unit open to see what sort of sensor it was using?
If it is the type of sensor I think it is, I was going to rip it off the pcb and attach it to some extension wires - can keep the unit outside the freezer then.
I wouldn't be happy with mains volts inside a damp box either.
[post="52866"][/post]​

Yes, that's possible. What I'd be worried about is the capitance of ~1m worth of wire... it would effect the temperature reading a dramatically, trust me. That's why I didn't do it. :)
Other than that, just had typical C, NO, NC connections with the earth straight through.

Far be it from me to try to stifle any form of innovation (or fun), just a reminder that a $40, all mechanical unit stuck inside the fridge with the sensing bulb stuck to the side of the fermenter controls my fermentation *really* well.

No batteries, no external wiring, no fitting into a case, relay included - don't overlook the option.

Mmmm, I could stick a thermometer in there I guess.
But, I would prefer to have as many shiny things as possible, preferably buttons and noises as well. :)

im with wortgames the more flashy things the more fun i have, that probably why im an electronics tech.

Wortgames said:
In the absence of a machine that goes 'ping', I insist on an LED display and buttons at the very least.
[post="52910"][/post]​

Monty Python was it?

yes the meaning of life if im not mistaken

eliwell907.jpg

Just bought this one off ebay the other week. Its a 2 stage Eliwell ewpc907t. Was from the US but is 240/110v switchable :) Only cost $60 :)

Wobbo

Hi all,

I too have made my own design using a PIC controller, Real time clock, LCD, Dallas 18S20 temp sensors, Fridge and heater. I can set the temp I require for the ferment, the software determines wether it has to be heated or cooled (with a delay so it doesn't switch back and forth). I have one of the temp probes on the outside of the fermenter (insulated from the ambient). The LCD shows me the set temp, the wort temp and the ambient temp of the fridge, as well as the time and date and the elapsed time of the current brew cycle.
If anybody wants the techo info (Circuits, code etc) let me know and I will send it to you.

Cheers

P4210043.JPG

P4210046.JPG

P4210047.JPG

P4210050.JPG

Damn! That controller almost looks like a carbon copy of the one I made, except I didn't think of putting a timer into mine.

Good Work Gizzbrewer!

vlbaby.

IMG_0015.JPGIMG_0014.JPG

A couple of very nice setups there.
One day i will look at trying to ferment by measuring both the wort and ambient temps... has to be the best way to get the right ferm temps.
Any info that can be posted about how to build this type of thing would be most appreciated.

dreamboat

great setup gizbrewer. (PM sent)

what is the thing you are using (other than the ockey strap) to set the sensor against the fermenter?

Goat said:
great setup gizbrewer. (PM sent)

what is the thing you are using (other than the ockey strap) to set the sensor against the fermenter?
[post="55809"][/post]​

vlbaby your setup is very impressive, the timer is abit of wank factor not really required. The bits you don't see on mine are the powerpoints and power supply. I think I might have to start on the next version that is a bit neater on the back.

Goat, the thing under the strap is the temp sensor for the brew, it is insulated from the ambient air to give a more acurate reading. I tried a probe in the brew but it proved to be too much of a hassle.

anyway here is the pcb, circuit and code.

Cheers

View attachment vx4_nest.pdf

View attachment vx4_nest_brd1.pdf

View attachment vx4_nest_brd.pdf

View attachment VX4_MKII_ver3.txt

gizz,
you could do what i did. I bought some stainless tube, blind on one end, and insert the dallas temp chip into the tube and seal it with araldite. Then grab a few fittings from HIS hose to plumb it into the side of your fermenter.
I bought the tube from Industrial Thermocouple Supplies in Thomastown VIC.
Only catch to using 6mm tube is that the sensor was too big to fit, meaning i had to bore it out on a lathe. If i was doing it again i would buy 8mm instead or maybe an imperial size because compression fitting are mostly available in inches.

vlbaby.

IMG_0017.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0019.JPG

vlbaby,
I like the stainless probe idea, in fact I have just brazed one into my kettle, I too had hassels fitting the dallas probe into the tube so I filed the corners off the probe, seems to work ok. I think you have inspired me to start on my next version. This time I will include more probes, now I've started mashing. One for the HLT, Mash Tun, and Kettle.

As you can see by the pics I'm not real handy with the Oxy kit.

What's with the Jug element?

Cheers

P4230086.JPG

P4230089.JPG

I use a s/s tube like vlbaby for my sensors, but I simply made a hole in my various lids (mash tun, HLT, fermenter) & suspend the tubes through them - This allows easy change of depth of your sensors (where required) & doesn't require water tight seals for your probes... Also, I don't like probes sticking through the edge of my mash tun when I'm trying to give it a good stir...

Back