Temperature Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamboat

Fantasy Brewer
Reaction score
Following the success of the recent refractometer bulk purchase arranged by Batz, and my recent discussions with an industrial fridgie that I know, I have come across some digital temperature controllers which I can obtain at a good price.

I am chasing up on the specific model number to enable you all to have a look on the net, but at this stage I can tell you that they are manufactured by a company called Dixell. I have and use what I believe to be an older model of the one which will be available, and the general fucntions are:
Heating or Cooling
Allowable differential from setpoint to as fine as 0.1C
readings to 0.1C
Relay output (which I have used regularly to run a 2400W urn - I would recommend that an additional relay be used for this though...)
Alarm for high and low temp.

Units are complete with Ntc (Ptc) probe.
Rough price at this stage is $90 +post including GST.
I do know that this is a special price at the moment, around $20 less than they normally sell for.

Let me know if you are interested in this, and I will post additional details as to the exact model, and as to when the special expires.

Dreamboat

I am interested - just some questions...

Are these digiatl?
Do the come with the temp probe?
What is the max current/amperage that they can switch?
What is the temp range...

Thanks

I have finally got to speak with the fridgie again....

look on www.dixell.com
model is XR10C
comes with a probe
I believe that the Probe is rated to 80C, but I know that I have used mine up above 90C without a problem (though not for long periods of time)
You or your friendly electrician will need to fit a 240V plug to go into the wall socket, and a flying lead type socket for you to plug your fridge/element/urn into. The whole thing should be mounted in a box or away from prying fingers as 240V can cause damage!
Special price is PROBABLY available until the end of the month, but I would like to sort things out in say a weeks time.

dreamboat

I'm in for at least 3 of the digital temp controllers (fermenting fridge, chest freezer & mash tun & maybe 1 for the HLT)

Anyone else interested in one or more of these? Looks like this might be on again.

Hoops

Thought I'd post pics of everyone's setups so that they're in page 1 of this thread, for easy reference.

Dreamboats_dixell.jpg

mobriens_dixell.jpg

jasonys_dixell.jpg

syntax69s_dixell.jpg

Hoops_dixell1.JPG

Hoops_dixell2.JPG

im interested but im going away for a little while ie till mid october so if it happens in the next week im in cause after that im gone

I spoke to Dreamboat earlier and he is going to try and get a price this coming week.
This said however, I am in no rush so if it takes a few months I'm not too concerned so it could even happen around October.

Hoops

I'm after at least one... I too can wait...

Matt

mobrien said:
I'm after at least one... I too can wait...

Matt
[post="73078"][/post]​

Same here...No hurry. Might even get two.

:beer:
PeterS....

I see with the XR10C the relay is rated at 8A, with a 20A model available. Do you know if the 20A one is possible to get?

Also, what probe is it? They have different probes available with different temp ranges.

I'm interested also, and am happy to wait. My brewing budget has already blown out with the march pump bulk buy :)

Was speaking to dreamboat and we were talking about the 20A one.
Don't know about the probe though.

Hoops

im in for one maybe two ,just starting to build system so a couple of months would be ok

cheers

I just fitted an XR10C to Sam from this forum.

The 20A contact is only rated for 8A inductive load or 20 resistive load.

about 2 hrs to fit provided i bring all the right tools.

Cool, lookin good.

So far we have the following people interested:

Hoops x 3 maybe 4
mobrien x 1
Peter Shane x 1
Hopsta x 1
briank x 1 maybe 2
AndrewQLD x 1
barls maybe 1

total x 8 maybe up to 11

at a guess I would think a price break would be at 10 but we will wait and find out.

So Timmy, does that mean I won't be able to run an urn off of it?

Hoops

Hoops - you just need to use a larger relay, no biggie. But one reason i asked about which probe it is, is that some are water proof and can take high temps, and some can't.

Sounds good to me

Now what am I up for $ wise for the whole thing?

Batz

You can run an urn directly of it. The electric element is a resistive load. a 2400w urn pulls 10A off a 240v supply.

If running an inductive load, you can throw a nubber in parallel with the contacts to protect the relay.

Back