Temperature Controllers STC 1000 v Inkbird ITC-308S v Keg King MKII

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have just got a small bar fridge that my fermenter fits in (yeaaaaah!!)

I was going to buy STC 1000 and wire it up,
but the Keg King MK 11 looks ok and by the time I buy all the gear needed and wiring etc, $77.00 would be worth it - (and much tidier too) but I did the ITC 308s Inkbird, looks ok..

The Kegking seems to have new features, like different settings over time, ie 18 degrees for 7 days, then 15 for 7 days and then 2 degree for 7 day ...great for lagering... etc. etc
Does not look like the Inkbird does that? but is only 50.00, any thoughts..

Cheers

The inkbird 310 does what you're after, but it is a bit more expensive than the 308

Nothing wrong with the 308 though if you don't need the timing automated - you can easily do it manually.

Thanks yes I would probably go 310, good to have the option...
Any experience with reliability of any of these?

I have one but don't use the timing feature of it, as I haven't bothered to learn how to do it yet and I only have to adjust it 2 or 3 times during a 2 week fermentation.

I'd go inkbird over Keg King or STC, it's a good value finished product. I like the STC's, but you do have to build them.

inkbird also have gone and gotten the electrical certification done for this country, something keg king has yet to do on any of their prewired products.

mmmm makes it confusing on store, looks like there are 3 or 4 products of the same thing, I assume for google search..
I assume there is only one ITC 310 (au plug) etc

I watched a video where a guy by passed thermostat in the fridge... ie rewired, surley that is not necessary? You will just set fridge to coldest and the controller will turn on and off as needed? Cheers

I have an ITC-308 and an ITC-310. I originally got the 310 because of the extra features of time at temp but have never used it, so when it was time to get a second, I saved some money and got the 308. I find different yeasts and brews take varying times to reach FG so its easier to just monitor it manually and put the temp up rather than just guess 4 days or so before raising the temp.

Regarding the thermostat, it's something that caught me out at first. My fridge has an electronic thermostat so when the ITC turns it off, it resets to the default setting, which is the middle setting. This is fine for normal fermenting, but becomes an issue when cold crashing. The middle setting gets the brew to about 5 degrees so it really needs to stay on a lower temp for cold crashing. I ended up not using the controller to cold crash and just use the thermostat on one setting lower than the mid point which goes to about 1.5 degrees.

Thanks, good info, that's why it pays to ask . I was thinking the same thing, would use different settings. I would probably do everything manual. Even cold crashing ... just turn it down when needed. Interesting though if the switch is set to coldest it would stay there, ? Especially old fridge with dial or are you talking about electronic switch?

Edit yes I see electronic, so good old fashioned dial is better , this will be the same for cars in 5 yearsCheers

Thanks, good info, that's why it pays to ask . I was thinking the same thing, would use different settings. I would probably do everything manual. Even cold crashing ... just turn it down when needed. Interesting though if the switch is set to coldest it would stay there, ? Especially old fridge with dial or are you talking about electronic switch?

Edit yes I see electronic, so good old fashioned dial is better , this will be the same for cars in 5 yearsCheers
Yeah mate, a dial thermostat would be fine, set and forget.

Latest posts

Back