Temperature controlled fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post for me but I had to comment as I had used a variety of temperature controls including none, wet towels, an esky with ice water, cooling coil and pumped ice water and now settled on an effortless method... an old fridge with a cheap and simple temperature controller. No cost for the pensioned off fridge but I did splurge on two Tilt Hydrometers that give me temperature and gravity. I was surprised to find that despite the controlled temperature, some brews run warmer than others when side by side depending on the stage of ferment. An old iphone beside the fridge gives me an update when ever I look giving me confidence on final gravity. Also surprised to see the internal temperature of the wort was higher than the fridge until FG is reached. When brewing side by side I do ensure the beer style is similar (ale and ale or pilsner and pilsner).
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 11.34.40 am.png

First post for me but I had to comment as I had used a variety of temperature controls including none, wet towels, an esky with ice water, cooling coil and pumped ice water and now settled on an effortless method... an old fridge with a cheap and simple temperature controller. No cost for the pensioned off fridge but I did splurge on two Tilt Hydrometers that give me temperature and gravity. I was surprised to find that despite the controlled temperature, some brews run warmer than others when side by side depending on the stage of ferment. An old iphone beside the fridge gives me an update when ever I look giving me confidence on final gravity. Also surprised to see the internal temperature of the wort was higher than the fridge until FG is reached. When brewing side by side I do ensure the beer style is similar (ale and ale or pilsner and pilsner).
View attachment 118823
Yep. Yeast generate heat when they ferment. If making mead with lots of fruit in primary you can kill off the yeast under it if you don't punch down the fruit cap often enough as it gets so roasty.

The more vigorous the ferment, the hotter it is. Like the romans and orgies.

I bought a Grainfather fermentor and chiller today. I decided that was the best setup for my situation. I can’t wait to ferment with control over the temperature.

Yep. Yeast generate heat when they ferment. If making mead with lots of fruit in primary you can kill off the yeast under it if you don't punch down the fruit cap often enough as it gets so roasty.

The more vigorous the ferment, the hotter it is. Like the romans and orgies.
It's been a while but if I recall its 0.16kWh/kg of sugars fermented.
M

Back