Temperature Control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshF

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I finally received my STC-1000 from hong kong after like 17 working days. I've plugged it in and wired it all up to my thermometer probe inside the wort. It gave me a reading of 22.3 degrees which is about as stable as i have been able to get it whilst at work without my temperature control etc.

I'm making a coopers cerveza with just the standard yeast that came with the extract but my question is should i now start using the temperature regulator?
Today will be the 7th day of fermentation and my gravity is sitting on 1.010 so i wasn't sure if by bringing the wort down to 18 degrees now would shock the yeast or something since the fermentation thus far has been a pretty constant 22ish degrees for 7 days.

what do you guys think?

cheers
Josh

Nope, wouldn't worry about it, I would however drop Orvto 1-2'c for 5 days.

Why have you got the probe in the wort? Most people, myself included strap it to the side of the fv.

Yob i've got one of those circular fridges like the redbull ones and the proximity of the fermenter to the walls of the fridge is too close (the walls get icy within about 5 minutes) and there is bugger all room around it. So bought a temperature probe for more accurate temps. If i had a bigger fridge i'd probably tape it to the side though

You can see what i mean here

Beerfridge_with_Primary.JPG

Do you run that fridge with the lid off? Must own a power station! :blink:

Yob you can groan all you want, it does the job and since i live in an apartment i needed a fridge that doesnt use up much space.

Got it off gumtree second hand for $30. Missing a wheel so its propped up by an impromptu can of tuna but still works a treat.

The pic was taken with no wort in the fermenter, just for illustrative purposes. I've made a lid for it using insulative material from bunnings and the nearest fridge repair place were able to hook up 1.2 meters of the fridge sealand magnetic shit around the outside so it forms a good seal. A sand doorsnake thing adds a bit of weight around it to ensure it seals too.

You'd be suprised how fast it cools down with the lid surrounding the outsides of the fermenter and since the cooling is coming from 360 degrees. Went from 23 degrees to 20 degrees in about an hour.

Anyway, back to my question, is it worthwhile setting the thermostat to 18 degrees now since fermentation has been going on for a while or better off just leaving at around the 22 degree mark?

cheers

Yob you can groan all you want, it does the job and since i live in an apartment i needed a fridge that doesnt use up much space.

think you may have taken yob's post the wrong way josh....the way i read it, the (groan) probably refers to his pun of "that's COOL" when he's talking about your fridge.

Latest posts

Back