Temperature Control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
Hey guys,
With my temperature fridge, where do I put my stc1000's dangle-y temperature gauge thing (I really buggered that up) inside it? At the moment it's sticky taped to the side of the FV but obviously that can't give me the temp of the wort in the middle of the FV. Is there an easier way, because as soon as I open the temp of the fridge the ambient temperature increases my stc's temperature reading and the fridge kicks on straight away. I'm just worried about a constant fluctuation of temperatures

mine are in a bottle of water in the fridge. it reduces the swings and is pretty close to the fermentor liquid temp

get some Styrofoam and cut out a groove for the wire and the probe and tape that to the FV if its really thick foam then you will have to shape it to sit flush againts the FV if its thin it should bend. Others use stubby coolers.

I'm just worried about a constant fluctuation of temperatures

The air temp in the fridge might fluctuate but the temperature changes of the wort will be minimal (unless you set the fridge at 1 degree and leave it for three days). Takes a fair bit of energy to raise/lower 20+ litres of liquid by even 1 degree.

Simple solution. Don't open the fridge so much ;)

Bottle of water! Damn barls I even think you told me that initially; I forgot! Haha cheers guys.

I've got a folded up rag that I press up against the sensor which I then tape to the FV. Works pretty well for me.

use the bottle of water in the keezer but fermenting fridge is just styrofoam to the FV

I'm setting up a STC-1000 soon. I've learned a few things asking similar questions.

Good accuracy, very easy? Tape it to the side of fermentor with stubbie cooler insulation.

Very good accuracy, pain in the arse? Thermowell / other means of immersing probe in the wort.

Poorer accuracy, not as easy? Probe in water. Fermenting wort will be warmer than the water, so it makes little sense. Seems like it's more work for less accuracy.

Set the fridge 2'c lower than ferment temp
Should compensate for ferment temps (exothermic)
Just a little higher than fridge temps
By rights ferment temp should be spot on for true ferment temps
ie:I brew lagers at 10'C in fridge i guess wort is at 12'C

I used to use a tinny full of water in a stubby cooler. I just tucked the probe between the tinny and the cooler and replace the water fortnightl.

you dont need a thermowel with the stc100 probe. My prob has been submerged in water for 18months and beer seems to be the temp it reads at. its slightly warmer from the thermal mass but its alright if you drink it fast enough.

starts little undercarbed then ends up a little over carbed when its running dry but it isnt to bad lol

Back