Temperature Control In Winter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday all
I use a temperature controller that I got from Jaycar electronics(called a tempmaster) which works fine.
Its designed to control a fridge or freezer temp from approx 5 to 30 degrees by using its own temp sensor (probe) that I tape to the side of the fermenter which simply turns the fridge on or off.
By adding a couple of small switches, I can reverse the switching mechanism of the unit so in winter time I can use it to turn a light bulb on and off.
At the moment I am brewing at 16 deg with safale US 56 beautifully.
Cheers Peter.

100_0232.jpg

100_0232.jpg

I use a cheap fan heater ($15 from Coles/Bunnings/etc) in my fridge which is triggered from my digital thermostat, set to heating mode. It heats the fridge up quick and the fan circulates the air giving a more stable/even temp.

Cheers,
Damon

I have installed a Fish Tank Heater into my Fermenter. Its a 50w jobie which can be bought from BigW for about $11.00 works a treat.

That way you don't have to use the fridge for insulation as they have a thermostat which can be changed to any desired temp.

I use a fridge (turned off) which is outside and exposed to the weather. I've got a heating belt hooked up to a cheap timer ($10) which i have periodically turning the heating belt on and off. After a bit of experimentation I have the heating belt running during the coldest part of the night ie 2am-6am then just on for a couple of hours midafternoon. I've found the temperature to be very stable sitting pretty much set on 21 degrees.

Alternatively take advantage of the cold weather and brew a true lager :)

cheers,

martin

Warren,

Do you feel like posting a couple of pics of your cabinet? I've been contemplating building such a beasty to house 3 x 50's.

I was also contemplating the old "pipe cold air into a box" trick for cooling in the same cabinet...

Andy

Andy.

By insulated it's got sponge rubber bits wedged under the gap in the door and it's taped shut. Other than that it's just an old wooden cupboard that was in the garage when we bought the house. Not fancy at all and probably not totally energy efficient but it does the job OK.

I may have mis-lead you into believing it's cutting edge. :lol: :lol:

I must make something better one day.

Warren -

DSC01241.JPG

Back