temp probe outside or in fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwisteveo

Reaction score
Just brought a keg king 16amp temp controller and was wondering what do most people do and or is the best

a) tape probe to outside of fermenter,
b) insert probe through fermenter using a plastic bulkhead,
c) insert probe through fermenter using stainless thermowell,
d) insert probe through lid of fermenter into wort,

fermenter will be in a dead fridge using a heat belt,

cheers kiwisteveo

Taped to the outside, but open to better ways to use it.

I use a block of styrofoam, (with a groove for the probe on the inside) taped to the fermenter about midway down. You just need to wipe the outside of the fermenter before taping to get a good "stick" with the tape.

G.

I use a SS fermenter, keg king temp controller also.
Fitted a SS thermowell.
I figure I wanted the probe right in there....nice and deep like .....hmmm

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408272291.561303.jpg

CF

I use the foam too but I have a shoelace with both ends tied to an elastic band stops messing around with tape

If you use a dead fridge even without a heater belt your beer is going to get real hot real fast at the beginning of your ferment as the heat generated by the yeast will not be able to escape.
Something to watch.

I use an old neoprene stubby holder that is cut up, then doubled over, and gaffa taped to the side of the fermenter. This is to insulate the probe from the ambient temp in the fermenting freezer.

brewologist said:
I use an old neoprene stubby holder that is cut up, then doubled over, and gaffa taped to the side of the fermenter. This is to insulate the probe from the ambient temp in the fermenting freezer.
Same here....half a stubby holder taped to side with temp tape, insert temp probe.

Ale: 12V pc fan sitting on a piece of PVC pipe for recirc air, heat pad and fridge plugged into STC1000. Keeps temp at 18C
Using 60 litre fermentors now so the head pad sits in the door.

Lager: Fridge controller set to 13C with fridge plugged in, also has fan in door for recirc air.

DSC_0071.JPGDSC_0072.JPG

Cheers
Matty

Option 'C' for me. Stainless thermowell gets the probe right into the middle of the wort for a super-accurate reading. Easy and cheap enough to do.

Mine is mounted to the outside with 2 x ockey straps and a piece of stubbie holder

post-14485-0-41739000-1404171771.jpg

Mines a 12" Weldless Thermowell mounted from the lid to get that deep penetration :p

thermowell.jpg

Strapped to the outside covered in a cut up old mouse mat.

Upgrading to SS fermenter, hopefully this weekend, and aim to add a SS thermowell through the lid

I am definitely "upgrading" to include old stubby holder.

My observations

I used to use the cut up stubby holder taped to the outside method

upgraded to a beerbelly thermo well and was surprised in the difference in temp, especially noticeable when first cooling the wort down to pitching temps.
I was getting a reading at least 2 degrees warmer with the thermo well.
It also takes a lot longer for changes to the fermenter temperature to occur with the thermo well, taking the reading from the middle of the wort.

Spiesy said:
Option 'C' for me. Stainless thermowell gets the probe right into the middle of the wort for a super-accurate reading. Easy and cheap enough to do.
How much difference in temperature does this make compared to reading the temperature on the outside surface of the fermentor thats been insulated with foam?

panzerd18 said:
How much difference in temperature does this make compared to reading the temperature on the outside surface of the fermentor thats been insulated with foam?
For me, I found it was about 2-3 degrees, like Mattress said.

A blind stainless tube directly into the wort will obviously have a better reading, and sanitary issues are pretty much non-existent if you follow normal procedures. I'll upload some pics later but I use electrical cable glands, fairly cheap and easy to clean.

That said, if you know your process and you know what "artifacts" fermenting at the temperature your external probe with your foam/abandoned stubby holder produces, there's nothing wrong with that. As long as the process is repeatable and consistent.

Back