Temp probe for HLT and HERMs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkstalen

Reaction score
OK So I've got a STC-1000 coming which I've plans to use for a budget HERMs rig (yes, I know a PID controller would be better, which I may do later)

My question is...

Would I be better of getting a screw in temp probe, I can permanently attach to my HLT (like this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PID-Digital-Temperature-Control-Controller-Thermocouple-0-to-400-Relay-SSR-C99-/360880705122)

Or get a standard probe, and stuff it in a thermowell (ie this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1m-NTC-Thermistor-Accuracy-Temperature-Sensor-10K-1-3950-Waterproof-Probe-/311245324268 plus this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless-Steel-304-Thermowell-1-2-NPT-Threads-4-L-for-Temperaturature-Sensors-/380910500509)

Thoughts?

where in the herms are you planning on placing the probe?
Are those probes compatible with a STC-1000 ?

If you're using this probe/STC to control the temp then you need to measure the temp in the HERMS outlet i.e. where the liquor is going to be hottest within your mash.
By extension, you want the standard probe and a thermowell mounted on the discharge pipework from your HERMS coil.

You can't extend the temp probe from a STC1000 as it will change the resistance in the wire changing the displayed temp.
Use the STD one in a thermowell or just chuck it in the mash

Tex083 said:
You can't extend the temp probe from a STC1000 as it will change the resistance in the wire changing the displayed temp.
Use the STD one in a thermowell or just chuck it in the mash
That's not right.
They are a 10K ohm NTC. You can extend the wire, the extra resistance you will introduce (making sure your joins are spot on) will be negligible.
You can do the same thing with a PT100 (RTD).
Thermocouples are a different kettle of fish, you need to use extension or compensating wire.

Just noticed you want this for your HLT. A thermowell through the wall is fine. Just be wary that if you aren't agitating/recircing your water the water might have some heat gradient issues, which I'd argue isn't a huge issue for sparging. Depends on a lot of things of course.
Agree with billygoat above. Thermocouples have an additional issue in that the cables must be made of certain metals for any joins or extensions.

I had mine placed in a "T" piece by drilling a hole in an end cap and siliconed it up . Now I have a PID and do the same except it is done up with a rubber O ring and two lock nuts . Work extremely well no leaks in either of them .

I used one of these in my HLT running off an STC with great success.

I also used the standard stc sensor in one of these plumbed into my herms outlet.

Here's another option from Nev's that'd suit most vessels and should accept the stc sensor no worries.

If you use a thermowell, grab a bit of thermal paste from jaycar for better accuracy.

Can't put it in the HERMs coil as this will also be used as the immersion chiller, and still want to be able to measure temp for sparge water.
Think I'll stick it in a thermowell. Hoping the convection from a side mounted element will get the water mixing around enough to make any heat gradient immaterial.

Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back