Temp. In Secondary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
i have had a pilsner in secondary for about 10 days now. i was a bit concerned when it first went in as it didnt bubble out the airlock at all. i let it go thinking that it had fermented out in primary (i racked it after four days and was pretty much done then).

what made me concerned again today was that the airlock was beginning to be sucked in the other way. as in there was a vacuum inside the fermenter. i am hoping this is only being caused by the wort being a bit cooler now than when i racked it. will letting it sit in secondary at a cooler temp (about 68 - 72F in primary and 58 - 60F now) give any bad results. i have read a bit about lagering but i dont plan on leaving it much longer before bottling.

any ideas/suggestions? and since this is the first batch i have used a secondary on, what is a good temp to keep it at? thanks
joe

sorry about the temp. copied it from another forum.

Joecast,

I once had an airlock going the wrong way - sucking the water into the fermenter. Turned out I had a very slow leak around the tap.

Trev

Back