Temp Fluctuation In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast into a brew on Sunday and have been fermenting at 21C.

This morning I noticed the temperature in my brew fridge was down to 18C as my STC1000 had a faulty outlet which the heater was plugged into.

I took the STC to work and fixed it but it was a bloody cold day and it dropped down to 15C. When the missus got home she turned the heater on and it climbed to 17.5C.

I know temp fluctuations while brewing aren't a good thing, so should I bring it back up to its original 21C or maybe halt it at 18C just to minimize the variation? Or will just a one of like this not really matter?

Thanks Gents.

Bump....Anyone?? Really appreciate the help???

The temp of your fridge might have changed, but the temp of the actual brew won't have change much - 20+L of wort/beer has a pretty substantial thermal mass - so it'll be fine to raise the fridge temp back to 21 if you want.

Have to ask though - why 21 (seems a bit high)? What yeast are you using?

Have you run out of beer in the fridge mate?

Have a few and let it be :)

I would guess the flavor compounds, esters etc were made during the start at 21 and the in the later stages I it would be yeast reaching desired fg that would be the issue, some strain will floc out if temp drops etc. the actively fermenting wort prob wouldnt have fluctuated as much as the air however. What yeast?

Edit: beaten by above

The yeast is Belgian Ardennes 3522.

The 21C is close to my ferm temp. I have the probe taped to the ferm wall and insulated with foam from the heat source.

Im brewing a Dogfish head Raison D'etre Clone

Have you run out of beer in the fridge mate?

Have a few and let it be :)

Plenty of beer left.. :D probably being a panic merchant but really looking forward to this brew so don't want to do anything that could stuff it up.

Ive got it back up to 18.5C now. STC set at 21C. Still lots of Krausen

Picture_001.jpg

Plenty of beer left.. :D probably being a panic merchant but really looking forward to this brew so don't want to do anything that could stuff it up.

Ive got it back up to 18.5C now. STC set at 21C. Still lots of Krausen

View attachment 55346
That beer has no hope anyway, you ruined it by using Gladwrap and not a lid! :eek: :p B)

If it was summer and your brew got up to >25+ it might be a problem, but I couldnt possibly see why it would become a problem in dropping temperature. Low temperatures wont impart any flavours (otherwise we wouldnt cold condition), it just makes the yeasties fall asleepies.

If it was summer and your brew got up to >25+ it might be a problem, but I couldnt possibly see why it would become a problem in dropping temperature. Low temperatures wont impart any flavours (otherwise we wouldnt cold condition), it just makes the yeasties fall asleepies.

Thanks mate. I should be ok then and will bring it back to 21c.

Truman,
You've obviously been far to busy thinking up new thread ideas to have read This Thread
Cheers
Nige

Just read that thread Nige and apart from GregL the general consensus was that using gladwrap was okay (yourself included)

Which was the reason why I used it in the first place, as Ive been advised by others on here that it was okay to do. Mind you that brew is the first time I have, and only really because I didnt have a hole drilled in my lid for an airlock and couldn't be fucked getting the drill out to do it.

That and I like to hear the sound of the kittens in the airlock, it relaxes me.. :p

It appears my attempt at humour has missed it's mark.
My comment was a dig at Greg L not your use of the glad wrap.
Your beer should be fine even with the temp fluctuation and lack of lid.
In fact it will probably turn out awesome and you will have no chance of repeating your fermentation schedule to make it that way again. :D Seems to work that way.
Cheers
Nige

Oh ok..Sorry mate...was too busy thinking up new ideas for thread topics.. :p :D

I think the next one should be a poll on which make better brew companions out of cats or dogs...

It's a hard one to pick for mind as a dog will lick any spilled beer before the missus finds out but a cat is not guaranteed to try and poison itself from eating your hops!

Back