Temp-controlled Fridge At Aldi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7c is not cold enough for lagers? WTF?

I think he means actual lagering would be out so you'd need a different fridge for cold conditioning and lagering.

Plus over the life of the fridge (assuming a decent life span) these suck a lot more power than a decent compressor fridge, enough to pay of the compressor fridge multiple times.

QldKev

And if i remember correctly, they will only pull down 10deg from ambient. So might be a problem for some people depending on where they are and where they keep the fridge.

Would make for a nice cheese making fridge.

second the power sucking qualities of this style of fridge. I remember reading a while ago this type of fridge was rated HORRIBLY when it came to efficiency.

second the power sucking qualities of this style of fridge. I remember reading a while ago this type of fridge was rated HORRIBLY when it came to efficiency.

I've got one of these.

All I did was wire in a fridge mate and its now a kegerator. I also stuck in some led lighting, look good on the deck looking through the glass door at 2 shiny kegs.

Just thinking out loud, but, at it's maximum temperature (18 degrees) I'd imagine it wouldn't suck too much electricity. As I'm stuck with brewing and storing my beer in my shed/granny flat out the back, something like this might come in handy.

In winter I can carbonate my bottles in it which will make SWMBO happy as I've currently got 50 odd longnecks shoved in the corner of the lounge room, the only place I can find with a fairly consistent 18 degree plus temperature. In summer, I can throw a fermenter in it and brew at my preferred temperature of 18 degrees for ale yeasts and if I want to do a lager, it'll handle that too. As the shed has an insulated roof, even in summer it rarely gets above 30 degrees if I keep it closed up. Hmm, food for thought. <_<

Just thinking out loud, but, at it's maximum temperature (18 degrees) I'd imagine it wouldn't suck too much electricity. As I'm stuck with brewing and storing my beer in my shed/granny flat out the back, something like this might come in handy.

In winter I can carbonate my bottles in it which will make SWMBO happy as I've currently got 50 odd longnecks shoved in the corner of the lounge room, the only place I can find with a fairly consistent 18 degree plus temperature. In summer, I can throw a fermenter in it and brew at my preferred temperature of 18 degrees for ale yeasts and if I want to do a lager, it'll handle that too. As the shed has an insulated roof, even in summer it rarely gets above 30 degrees if I keep it closed up. Hmm, food for thought. <_<

The amount of power it uses will depend on the temperature of the place its sitting. So if its set at 18 and sitting in the corner of your lounge room that also stays around 18, then it won't use much. If its in your shed that gets up to 30, it'll run flat out and only get down to 20.

Have a read here

At a summary

All these wine cabinets have disproportionately high energy consumption when compared to fridge/freezers, especially considering that those need to maintain much lower temperatures.

In the case of the thermoelectric models in this test, their energy use skyrockets when they are pushed to their cooling limits.

The Rank Arena, which came last in our table, would use 619kWh/year in an external temperature of 25C, without even achieving a temperature of 12C inside the cabinet.

Compare this with a popular 520L fridge/freezer, which only uses around 520kWh/year and can maintain 3C and –15C in its two compartments in 32C heat.

So while the thermoelectric models are relatively cheap to buy, this is offset by their high running costs over the long term, and of course their excessive effect on the environment.

This tested one was just a 24bottle version, you are looking at a 40bottle version so even more power.

It's your choice to get one

QldKev

edit: The article above was taken from a Choice review.

Back