Temp control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleb.jones12

Reaction score
Hi guys
(I hope this is the right sub)

I'm fairly new to this, trying to figure out how to keep my brews relatively temperature stable.
I've currently got a coopers style kit and am limited for space.

I know a lot of people are using fridges to insulate but I'm looking for a smaller solution.
Can I use an aquarium style heater to keep the brew at the ideal temperature?
Or is there a better/easier way way?

I'm an electrical engineering student so in a few months (hopefully) I'm going to start looking into some sort of micro controlled system.

Thanks guys!

The inkbird 308 is great and easy (I got two).
But if you want the challenge try playing around with an STC-1000 unit and an old bar size fridge. Maybe you could double it as a study project and kill two birds.

mmmm...... down in Hobart - I'm guessing you only need the heating side this time of year.

Go the STC-1000 pus a project box or any old plastic box lying around (I used an old Telstra T box) couple of short leads from Bunnings and a cheap heater. the heater could be a heat mat, reptile heater.
The STC will switch it on and of as needed.
you could even put in a cupboard with a heat lamp i guess.

I started off with the fermenter in the laundry tub filled with water and an aquarium heater.
I didnt like the idea of putting the aquarium heater into the wort/beer, and the extra water in the tub gives you more thermal mass to help combat quick temp changes.

I've purchased an STC1000 I work at Jaycar Electronics so getting additional bits and pieces is not a hassle.

I'll eventually setup a Raspberry Pi brew or Arduino control system but this should do for now

Thanks guys!

laxation said:
Hi Laxation,
Does the element come with a plug or do you have to wire it?

Hi Caleb, welcome to AHB and considering that your employing temperature control to your brewing process, welcome to better tasting beer.
From your opening post I realise your pressed for space but if you can squeeze a fridge or freezer in somewhere you definitely won't regret it. Up until recently I used an old 140L whirlpool tuckerbox deep freezer. It's foot print wasn't really that much larger than a coopers fermenter but could also fit 2x willow jerry cans inside for double brews when required. Having the ability to not only maintain stable fermentation temperatures via your STC and a heat belt/Mat but also being able to crash chill and cold condition your beer all in the one unit is not only convenient but it will definitely improve your finished beer. When you're not fermenting the fridge/freezer doubles as a clean space for storing brewing gear.
Just a few points to consider as space/time allows.
Cheers,

I am using a 60w incandescent light bulb painted with pot-belly black controlled via STC1000 for my heating at the moment. I would prefer a heating pad but my fridge has space for 2 fermenters so I can't really use a heating pad.

Thanks Guys

Benn Im seriously considering modifying a fridge maybe a small bar fridge so thank you for your advice :)
Once uni exams are done in a few weeks I'll have a mosre spare time to nut it all out haha

My early brewing experience in a climate similar to Tassie meant that I didn't really have to use any form of immersion heater. My issue was keeping the brew warm. I used a cupboard in my laundry that didn't have a wall that connected to the outside of the house and I used a simple base plate heater. This gave a quite constant 24 hour temperature.

In the winter months I used an old jumper wrapped around the fermenter and in summer, because of the location of the cupboard, I used nothing, turning the base heater off. I was lucky enough to rarely go above 19 degrees and no lower than 16. As you would expect, fermentation time in winter was slower (thought the heater helped) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I made some great brews this way and won few competitions.

laxation said:
How come?
can you use a heat pad for two fermenters? i rarely ferment 2 batches at once but might if i started kegging. i gotta admit the light bulb was just a quick fix and i havent bothered upgrading yet.

I thought you could if you had a fridge. Just put it in there on the side or something and use it for ambient temps. I thought that's what people used them for in fridges tbh - doing it that way instead of under the fermenter to stop one big heat spot

i'm just going by what i've heard though - i dunno either way (which is why i asked!)

Somewhere else in here I've talk about temp control of fermentation using foam boxes. IMG_0063.JPG

This has been successful however in summer, high temps in Adelaide mean daily frozen 2 litre bottles to maintain 18-20 degrees.
The next step:-
20170617_111238.jpg
This now goes in the box and temp control is so much easier. If I want to reduce temp by a couple of degrees, an ice pack under the top rubber cover so it sits on the lid works a bloody treat. Come on summer!
Now the rubber, cut out of a massage and yoga mat from Target. 1.73 x 630mm x 12mm thick for $10! One mat will cover the fermenter as seen and provide a floor in the foam box for fermenter to sit on.

Working well, room temp 15 degrees ( don't heat it), fermentation occurring and sitting steady at 19.1.

(Ps this may be in the wrong thread (electronics) but I've given up on the search at the moment as its too long winded) Transfer to something else ok.

Latest posts

Back