Temp control failure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyb’s

Reaction score
I’m reasonably new to brewing having only done about 10 batches since starting up home brewing after about a 5 year break from my first attempt.
I had 2 batches of the coopers Mexican style beer down that had been fermenting nicely in the fridge for 7 days at 18c, they were virtually ready to keg but I had to go away for work for 5 days and I didn’t see any harm in leaving them in the fridge instead of kegging them a little prematurely however when I came home I discovered one of the kids unplugged the fridge and I have no idea when.
So my question is will both these batches be ruined? I took a gravity reading and they have finished fermenting. When the fridge was plugged back it the temp was 28c so my guess is it would of sat fairly stable at that temp since our temp in Darwin doesn’t fluctuate that much.
Any advice would be great.

Cheers Lachlan

Most of the harm caused by hot fermentation happens in the first couple of days. Given that your beer was pretty much finished when the power went off, I'd take the punt and go ahead and keg it.
There are some down sides to getting a beer hot at any stage:-
Breakdown of the yeast (Autolysis)
Infections (any bugs that were in the beer get a chance to play longer and harder)
Loss of some delicate aromas (both yeast esters and hop armours)
Loss of stability (the beer will age faster - not in a good way see oxidisation)
Formation of more haze components (you could lager it for a week or two)….
Smell and taste the beer, if its OK its Ok, just don't be surprised if its a little dryer than usual.
Mark

Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and kegged it. Taste was a little different but since this is a kit that I’m not familiar I’m not to concerned. I cold crashed them for a couple of days and they appeared pretty clear in the kegs. They are sitting on the gas now so I guess I’ll know in about a week if they are any good

Back