Temp control 2 fermenters in a chesty Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarey

Reaction score
I was looking for some advice on how best to temperature control 2 fermenters at once.

My setup is a chest freezer with an st100 temp control. Currently I do one batch at a time with the probe strapped to the side of the fermenter under styrofoam.

I've aquired a second fermenter and want to start doubling my output. There is enough room in the chesty for both. Would just controlling the ambient temp in the freezer be enough as long as the temp requirements of both batches are the same?

Should I under shoot the target temp to make up for heat produced by the ferment? By how much?

Any input would be appreciated.

or am I over thinking it?

Cheers

I reckon you might be over thinking it. I regularly ferment two beers in the same fridge with the same controller. I undershoot my target by 1 degree and 1 degree of variance so it'd be pretty much spot-on I reckon and I don't think poking probes into my beer is worth the >1degree accuracy it'd give me.

I also keep my no chill cubes in the same brew fridge for a day before fermentation with my yeast, so everything's the same temperature when I get going.

Thanks Kahlerisms. I'll give it a go

Back