Temeperance/prohibition On The Way Back?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Guy

Reaction score
Anyone else scared that fundamentalist religious organisations may be behind a push to increase taxes on alcohol increase the drinking age to twenty one and reduce licensed premises?

or that stupid current affairs program ran a story about alcohol and violence (with an interview from Turning Point Org) that was way too simplistic in its analysis and made it look like alcohol should be pushed to be more restricted, higher cost etc etc.

are fundamentalist religious organisations always the issue :ph34r: didnt they kill JFK?

My father was a lifelong teetotaler and frankly a fanatical abstinence campaigner.

I was always intrigued about the idea of the 'Christian temperance' movement. An organisation that did not advocate 'temperance' at all, and wouldn't have had that boozer and wine-producer Jesus Christ as a member.

At the time of European settlement of Australia, gin was the scourge of the lower orders in England and beer was considered a 'temperance beverage'.

While the Gonmnt is at it lets ban sex before marriage, bikini's on the beach and condoms.

Zealots (of all descriptions - religious, social, economic you name it) are the cause of most of the problems in the world.
If only they'd just piss off and let us get on with living.

Sanders has a rant occasionally on his podcast. I say occasionally because he only broadcasts twice a month!

They had an interesting peice on it a while ago and it said that the Salvo's were one of the interest groups pushing for stricter labelling and licensing laws.

So when you donate to the Red Shield appeal, bear in mind that some of your money could be spent on this nonsense....

Cheers,

Tim

i like the tact of less venues, the majority of liquor is consumed away from licenced premises, in NSW it is 75% away from licenced venues, 25% on trade.

The NSW on-trade is responsible thanks to the efforts of venues and the government. But, with 75% of the consumption unmanaged, then it is these consumers who need to be responsible for themselves.

I forget his name, but the Victorian Academic's study used in the 'Riase the Bar' camapaign showed via evidence that a decentralised system like Victoria had no more or less alcohol related issues than a concentrated system like NSW. A concentrated system i personally feel will not bring any positives, as folks will not normalise consumption, ie. have a few drinks at a small venue or over a meal. You will go to a venue to get drunk and consume a large amount due to restrictions.

anyway, rant off....

Sadly the "current affairs" programs are all on board ATM. Perhaps if somebody started a rumour that the Taliban was behind the current push we'd see a more sane debate.

Sadly the "current affairs" programs are all on board ATM. Perhaps if somebody started a rumour that the Taliban was behind the current push we'd see a more sane debate.

For anybody who's ever had anything to do with TV journos, the idea of their promoting an anti-alcohol jihad is more than a little amusing.

The 'Taliban' connection is also hilarious. These religious loons have much more in common with the Islamic extremists than they do with 'normal' folk.

I think the issue lies in the number of people going out and getting wasted and then causing trouble

Then there is the issue of huge under age parties where excessive alcohol consumption is a problem

I don't think that restricting alcohol or making its purchase prohibitive through taxes would really achieve anything - people will still consume ridiculous amounts and be a little poorer for it

I think the issues need to be resolved at a more fundamental societal level - how this can actually be done I'm not sure

Removing premixed high alcohol drinks for sale is a good start, as would be toning down advertising

Limiting the operation of drinking establishments may help - but from reports from England this may not be very effective

Perhaps a greater focus on the community / social activities may reduce the issues surrounding over consumption of alcohol

It's all to hard to solve right before lunch

But yes the powers that be do listen to those that make the most noise and while I don't see full blown prohibition I do see greater restrictions down the track and ever increasing taxation of alcohol

Which in turn will further fuel problems

Cheers

Anyone else scared that fundamentalist religious organisations may be behind a push to increase taxes on alcohol increase the drinking age to twenty one and reduce licensed premises?
No. I generally try to ignore the fearmongering bullsh*t in the media.

The more alcohol is demonised and the prices pushed higher and if prohibition does eventually come into play, the more people will turn to other methods of altering their consciouness.

Hell, its already happening. I know of plenty of people that would rather go out on the weekend and pop a pill or two instead of drinking. Its cheaper in most cases as well.

very thin ice indeed.

note: i am in no way advocating the use of illicit drugs in any way shape or form.

By taxing the booze and prohibiting sales to certain hour of the day is something the fundamental religious can't be blamed for.
They would be driving the "cause if they had half the chance" so lets not allow for that .
The strict alcohol politics in countries with non religious governments base their argument on the cost for the society and taxpayers in taking care of alcohol related illnesses.
One way to to this is to reduce coverage of Medicare all together or at least for self induce conditions caused by alcoholism or/and other drugs.

They have already done that to smokers to some degree.
It is just a matter of time before this government touched the alcohol debate so hopefully the Australians and its "guests" can behave nicely and drink in moderation, especially the young ones.

Peace brothers, including those rabid fundamentalist :)

At the time of European settlement of Australia, gin was the scourge of the lower orders in England and beer was considered a 'temperance beverage'.

I read somewhere that when Thomas Cooper set up in 1862 he did not have any problems with the Temperance League as he would deliver his beer to private homes only and not to pubs,winebars etc.

I read somewhere that when Thomas Cooper set up in 1862 he did not have any problems with the Temperance League as he would deliver his beer to private homes only and not to pubs,winebars etc.

Yes, I've read that too. Pubs being dens of iniquity were more the problem than the booze itself. I tend to subscribe to that philosophy myself, but more because I'm a skinflint than a wowser.

reduce coverage of Medicare all together or at least for self induce conditions caused by alcoholism or/and other drugs.

If you are going to do this then you also need to reduce it for the fatties and the smokers who are causing as much stress and strain on the system as drinkers.

It's all these cursed RTD's that are the problem. "Kids" these days aren't tough enough to get a taste for beer. They resort to sweet leg openers that taste like cordial.

If you are too pansy to drink beer or straight spirits then you shouldn't have any other option. Problem solved :D

The simple solution would be to police and enforce the current responsible service of alcohol laws.

Thomas Cooper did exactly that, he was also a commited Methodidt lay preacher whose founding father was John Wesley who being as well as a minister wrote amongst many things a health guide recommending the consumption of beer for good health, which came with a recipe for a good stout so I believe.

Cheers,
BB

Back