Tell Me Your Top 5 Specialty Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score
All,

Keen to know your most popular/favourite 5 (or more if that is the case) specialty grains that are in your AG recipes and grain stores at home.

I have done a number of searches and could not find a similar topic.

This shall help me start my specialty grain library to go with my base malts.

Cheers!

at stock:

200kg of Pilsener malt
50kg of wheat malt
50kg Munich malt I
10kg Corne/Maize
2kg acidulated Pilsener malt

Prost :icon_cheers:

I haven't brewed enough to say these are the definitive 5 - they are just 5 that I regularly have on hand and use.

Dingeman's Biscuit Malt (this is lovely)
Joe white chocolate
Joe white light crystal
Joe White Black malt
Joe White Roasted barley

Of these I regularly use the choc, crystal and biscuit in anything of colour. Black and barley are reserved for stouts and my upcoming planned porter.

carapils
crystal medium
crystal dark
choc
roast

edit: I wanted to put down some wheat and munich, but they are base, not specialty

No particular order

Pale choc
Choc
Any/all of the weyermann caramunich's
Vienna ( ok this is a base grain, but mostly i use it as a specialty )
Melanoiden ( dont use it often but very handy )

Manticle i just got some dingemans biscuit, what do you think of it, and what style/s does it suit?, i was thinking of doing a simple blonde ale, and adding some in, so i could see what theflavour contribution was. Either that, or use 3-4% in a bitter?

Cheers

P.S i brew 90% bitters.

Biscuit
Caraaroma
Carafa II
Black patent
Pale chocolate

This is purely because I consider the following base grain:
Rye
Munich I & II
Vienna
Rye
Ale
Pils
Rye

No particular order

Pale choc
Choc
Any/all of the weyermann caramunich's
Vienna
Melanoiden ( dont use it often but very handy )

Manticle i just got some dingemans biscuit, what do you think of it, and what style/s does it suit?, i was thinking of doing a simple blonde ale, and adding some in, so i could see what theflavour contribution was. Either that, or use 3-4% in a bitter?

Cheers

P.S i brew 90% bitters.

The biscuit gives a distinct nuttiness. I bought it because I love dubbels and it was available in a bulk buy and I got excited so I got 25 kg. Not sure how wise that is for specialty malts as I only ever use a max of 200g in an average recipe. However I'm not sorry I got it - it's lovely.

I guess I see its place more in darker coloured ales but I don't think it would be out of place in something golden or amber or maybe even a pilsner to complement the breadiness. Kind of just musing there but I think I might give it a shot.Anything that relies on malt character could benefit in my slightly uninformed opinion. Not something to be overshadowed by loads of late hopping I reckon.

I'd go the bitter route and keep the other malts to one or two that you're already familiar with and a single hop type. Kind of like a SMASH & SPEC??

Weyermann acidulated #1
Melanoiden #2
Special B #3
Barret Choc #4
Carapils #5

Bairds Choc

Carafa Special II
JW Caramalt
Weyermann Carared
Weyermann Carapils
Weyermann Caraaroma
JW Roast Barley

I would have Munich in there as my favourite base supplement malt, but unfortunatly its a base, not a specialty.

Really haven't played around enough with specialties to have favourites unfortunately.
But i''m certainly a big fan of alternate wheat varieties...crystal, chocolate, roasted. Find they produce far different flavours to the barley varities.

And I do love dark crystal and caramalt...as much as i've used light/medium crystal in the past, i think those days have gone.

JW Caramalt
Rye
Caraaroma
Chocolate
Caraamber

Rye rocks :icon_chickcheers:

No particular order:

Amber - In most of my Pale Ales
Carafa II - Great for colour adjustment with subtle impact on flavour
Caraaroma - LOVE this one.
Carapils - use it in most of my lagers (which I don't brew enough of)
Caramunich - Prefer it over Crystal

In number six I'd have Choc Wheat. No idea why, just like it.

And tbh there are still too many that I haven't tried.

When I started out I got a lot of milage out of the following:

"Bulk" Base Malts:
Pilsner
Ale
Wheat

Specialty grains and lower quantity base malts
Munich
Crystal
Chocolate

This covers (no doubt imperfectly) a lot of styles.

Crystal, light, medium & dark
Chocolate
Caraaroma
Carahell
Caramunich II

There are others I have, but these are the most used.

Pale Choc
Caramunich II
Brown Malt (mmm...)
Carared
Carafa Special

Is Munich really considered a specialty or base?

It would be well up on my list, but i'd consider it more of a base grain than specialty.

Latest posts

Back