Teflon tape on regulator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrots87

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm setting up my first keg system and I'm in the process of plumbing up all the gas side lines. I've tested the connections with soapy water and found a leak on the regulators low pressure side, coming from the screw thread part. I've tried tightening it as much as I'm willing to for fear of breaking something but no luck. It's a KK Mk3 regulator, brand new.

Should I be using Teflon tape around the thread for a better seal?

Thanks Grott, I'll give it a go.

One other thing I've noticed is that one of the valves on my manifold is releasing gas when I turn the valve. I can't find the exact spot but I can hear an obvious psst sound when opening/closing the valve. It's a KK 2 way manifold, I suspect the leak is coming from around the valve handle but can't see any bubbles to confirm this.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any tips?

I have the same KK 2 outlet manifold as well. Are you sure it is a leak and not noise being made by gas passing through the non return valve in the manifold?

Also once you have fixed the reg. leak, test manifold by ensuring connection to the outlets are not leaking the turn gas on creating pressure then turn off at the bottle. Open the outlets, if you have a leak the readings on the gauges will drop.
Cheers

grott said:
I have the same KK 2 outlet manifold as well. Are you sure it is a leak and not noise being made by gas passing through the non return valve in the manifold?
I guess it could be, I'm not familiar with them so not sure if what I was hearing was normal or not. Plus it is only happening from one of the valves so I assumed it may be a leak.

I'll just ignore it for now and assume you're right. If I test it later and find I'm losing gas then I'll know where to start looking.

Cheers Grott

You shouldn't need teflon tape on the regulator thread because its not the thread that is doing the sealing.
Check the face on the end of the bottle thread and that the nylon washer is in good condition and seated properly.
You have to screw them up pretty tight.

If you do use thread tape make sure you get rid of it all when you take your bottle to get refilled. They will chew your ear otherwise.

pcmfisher said:
You shouldn't need teflon tape on the regulator thread because its not the thread that is doing the sealing.
Check the face on the end of the bottle thread and that the nylon washer is in good condition and seated properly.
You have to screw them up pretty tight.

If you do use thread tape make sure you get rid of it all when you take your bottle to get refilled. They will chew your ear otherwise.
Don't think they care about the low pressure side..

I had a leaky manifold at the end of last year, it was only on one valve but I took all the threaded parts out anyway including the end pieces, coated the threads with silicone and screwed them all back into place. No leaks since. I tried teflon tape first but it didn't do any good. I'd be going silicone.

I hooked up the kegs yesterday for a test pour. Two kegs connected through the manifold, one empty, the other with about a litre of sodium percarbonate solution. Once I was done playing with it I just turned off the gas bottle and left it, all connected and manifold valves open. I should add that I put the Teflon tape on the reg and can't see any more bubbles so I'm reasonably confident that I've fixed that problem.

It's been about 19 hours and it's dropped from 12psi to about 11psi. I figured it would drop a little as the kegs cool down and the water absorbs some of the gas, so I guess it seems a pretty reasonable drop in pressure.

Thoughts?

Back