Tech Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleasure Master

Reaction score
I've just upgraded to a new Samsung led big screen with 7.1 surround sound and bought a HDMI cable for the blu ray and sound side of things and I would like a couple more for game consoles etc, the one I bought was A$100 for a 3M lenght and now I look on Epay and see I could get one for 99c up $150 , they seem like a pretty high tech cable but what are the ins and outs?

Each end.

All much of a muchness, but if you buy Monster cable you pay a monster price.

cables_full.jpg

Check out EzyHD Cables, they are a lot cheaper than the Monster cables and are pretty good (no issues here yet). You can get cheaper from flea bay, but the service is worth it.

if you have a discount computer parts store nearby they often have them for like $3-5 bucks (no brand ones)

i took a punt on a $3 one and it worked.... WOW !!!

with $200 on a monster you could invest in 5 more inches of tv screen now-a-days ...

if you have a discount computer parts store nearby they often have them for like $3-5 bucks (no brand ones)

i took a punt on a $3 one and it worked.... WOW !!!

with $200 on a monster you could invest in 5 more inches of tv screen now-a-days ...

****. paid $50 for a 'medium quality' cable last week.

Build quality is still an issue. I wouldn't be confident of the longevity of a $3 cable. $50 is a bit expensive, sure, but not so bad if you never have to buy another one.

Ahem. Those cables stay connected in their slots almost permanently.

Unless you are getting one to connect the handycam/computer to the telly, build quality is quite a non-issue. The only thing I've found bad with some cheap ones is way too much rubber/plastic on the connectors, making them too fat for some situations. Nothing a knife doesn't fix though.

PS: I really mean it when I say if connecting to a camera or computer, cables regularly pulled in/out of stuff need to be tough. I've got a griffin 3m iPhone cable that I paid a bit too much for just cuz it avoids having to buy one every year.

PPS: one more post to 1313!

I've been buying my HDMI cables from Ugly Cables for the last couple of years (I've moved housed and had installed through the walls).
No affiliation etc just a happy customer.

build quality is quite a non-issue
Bullshit.

If you've got any tension on your connectors whatsoever (gravity, anyone?) then a shitful build does become an issue - just like with any other cable.

Just putting on my technician hat on for a few minutes ;)

Monster cables are bullshit

OFC audio cable is bullshit

Gold plated connectors are bullshit

Having spent 20yrs in the comms game.. ( Radio, uWave, telephony, data etc...etc...) just about all of the claims made are bullshit...

If they were true, then the whole industry would be using gold plated, gas filled OFC cables...

When I started, the greatest gift to us techs was anything digital, simply because it worked, or it didnt, and it was a lot easier to bodgy a digital connection than an analog one... :D

Just putting on my technician hat on for a few minutes ;)

Monster cables are bullshit

OFC audio cable is bullshit

Gold plated connectors are bullshit

Having spent 20yrs in the comms game.. ( Radio, uWave, telephony, data etc...etc...) just about all of the claims made are bullshit...

If they were true, then the whole industry would be using gold plated, gas filled OFC cables...

When I started, the greatest gift to us techs was anything digital, simply because it worked, or it didnt, and it was a lot easier to bodgy a digital connection than an analog one... :D

A-fricking-men! Overpriced cables and extended warranties are the biggest scams going.

Had a friend who actually worked at an electronics store and the way he put it was that the extended warranty = his pocket money for the day. ...Nevermind the "bathtub curve" of failures vs time (if something is going to fail, chances are it will fail within days of you buying it - when the store's return policy and manufacturer's warranty will cover you). The extended warranty is chosen to expire in the flat spot of the bathtub curve, not when normal age/wear & tear will start to be an issue.

I would have thought gold plating to be at an advantage as the gold is inert to the atmosphere?. When I was pulling the old TV out I noticed all the RCA's looked pretty shitty and starting to corrode and they look like they're chrome or simular plated.

Build quality is still an issue. I wouldn't be confident of the longevity of a $3 cable. $50 is a bit expensive, sure, but not so bad if you never have to buy another one.

Bullshit.

If you've got any tension on your connectors whatsoever (gravity, anyone?) then a shitful build does become an issue - just like with any other cable.

Sounds like someone has been paying too much for their cables. :ph34r:

Could not be further from the truth.

Someone makes his own cables.

Back