Team Sqyre Made A Boo-boo.. (forgot Some Hops)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqyre

Bee & Thistle Brewery
Reaction score
Hey guys,
WE...(Me and Mrs Sqyre) were having a bit of a brew this arvo...

and when we got to the end of the boil Mrs Sqyre relised that we forgot to chuck in half of the bittering hops... (nearly half the ibu's)

Now we had about 40 minutes before the chiller coil finished doing its thing so i made an executive descision...
and quickly threw the missing hops into a couple of litres of water and boiled for 60 minutes and then added to the chilled kettle before adding to the fermenter.
( it seemed like the only option i had at the time)

Now after a emergency group meeting (most people refer to it as intercourse) we have decided on a measure to reduce the chances of this unfortunate situation ever happening again. ( Main one being no more Mr Sqyre getting half tanked before starting a brew.)

Anyhoo... :blink: my question is have i done the right thing?
Will boiling hops for 60 minutes seperatly in water generate the same IBU's as boiling in the kettle with the rest?
And how different will the brew turn out?

Help me...

I may not be very bright... but i can lift heavy weights...
Sqyre.. :blink:

( Main one being no more Mr Sqyre getting half tanked before starting a brew.)
My Mrs would need to be half tanked to get involved in my brewing.
I doubt you would get the same utilization from boiling in water compared with wort, but it can't hurt. What type of beer was it?

It was Doc's Schwarzbier, with the Plugs converted to Pellets...
86g of Hersbrucker [14ibu's]
and
36g of Hallertau [9.5ibu's] (forgot this)

:unsure:
Sqyre...

Thats not a bad fix. A bit of DME in the water would have been better as it would have helped control the pH. I think the theory goes that just water has a different pH to boiling in wort, so you you will get different rates of isomerization, and also risk extracting tanin from the hops. But if it was half the bittering hops its probably OK.

you should have added a bit of Malt extract to that water mate...... boiling in water (much higher pH than your Wort) will extract some other nasty things that you dont want. I did this once for a pilsner in an attempt to add fresh hop character to the secondary firmenter without dryhopping. I did what youve done and was told it wasnt a good idea. The beer didnt have a real flash aroma or flavour after i did that i can tell ya.

swore never to do it again.

I was told at the time (and i dont know the science behind this) that you should always boil your hops in around a 1.030 to 1.040 gravity wort mixture if your going to attept that sort of thing.

Only thing left to do is have a few more emergency group meetings and wait to see how it works out.

cheers

Bugger.... oh well we can only see how it turns out...
Actually... i'm on Tank water, 100% rainwater would that help the situation? PH wise? :huh:

Sqyre..

Unless it has a pH of around 5 to 5.5.... i doubt it.

Water is usually a neutral 7 pH

Relax.......... it will be fine im sure :unsure:

cheers

Cool.. :unsure: .. (i think :blink: )

But thanks for the advice ..
I now know what to do if this ever happens again...

Cheers,
Sqyre... :D

"Now after a emergency group meeting (most people refer to it as intercourse)
Anyhoo... my question is have i done the right thing?"

OF COURSE YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!!!

:lol: i can hear people dropping beers and running from Squires bar from here :lol:

Next time, & I am sure that it won't happen again, take a litre or so from the kettle instead of using water. Or brew the same beer tomorrow, with extra bittering hops, & blend it. Other than that relax, you will be surprised what you won't notice in a Dark Beer!
Cheers
Gerard

Ah the old 2 different hops at 60 mins catching brewers out trick.
I'm sure your brew will be fine.

Doc

Never Know mrs sqyre may have stumbled on a way no one had attempted, may be an improvement. I boil in water often when extract brewing, However I usually add a little citric acid to help the ph. I am sure it will turn out fine, let me know if you notice any difference.

I asked a simular question last year. Tony M's post shows a good table that kinda helps answer your question but not exactly. While it doesnt show the hop utilisation at a SG of 1.000 it does show the relationship. You wouldnt have hit the IBU's you would have intended to but Im sure that it would be fine. If the relationship shown continued as the SG reduced to 1.000 you would have a higher IBU however I have been told that the relationship does change before it hits 1.000 - still would like an exact answer myself.

Click Here

Cheers BDB

You poor ******* Sqyre. You put your lovely lady up on a pedestal like a Greek goddess and then she bloody goes and forgets the hops. It's enough for a bloke to go and have a sook with his mates I reckon.

"Now after a emergency group meeting (most people refer to it as intercourse) Anyhoo... my question is have I done the right thing?"

Yes, best you two do those things than having us sharing the love.

Only thing left to do is have a few more emergency group meetings and wait to see how it works out.

I've said it before, Tony, you are an A Grader.

:icon_cheers:

Now after a emergency group meeting (most people refer to it as intercourse)

Aslong as this doesnt end up in the "Oops...what have you dropped in your brew" thread that just popped up/

Pok

See how the beer tastes.

If it doesn't turn out bitter enough, you can always add a few drops of isohop!

Well i'm happy to say the brew turned out beutifull.
Its my first attempt at this style and my first attempt at lagering and i must say i'm wrapped.
i did a double batch and as a trial i used US-05 in one half and Swiss Lager yeast in the other..
The US-05 batch was ok but a bit "bitey" if that makes sense... but it was what i expected...
The lager, on the other hand came out awesome!! :super: Very smooth and roasty...

Anyway the moral of the story is that the boiling of the hops in water, (seperate to the wort) didnt do too much damage.
But hopefully it will never happen again..
Mrs Sqyre now has her new purpose brought Tuperware containers pre-filled with her hop additions and marked with big numbers :Addition 1, 2, 3, etc. :)

Cheers,

Team Sqyre.... ;)

Mrs Sqyre now has her new purpose brought Tuperware containers pre-filled with her hop additions and marked with big numbers :Addition 1, 2, 3, etc. :)

You may well have to swap them around or take two lids off at once somewhere down the track... just for the sake of another emergecy meeting :p

Latest posts

Back