Tb's Lager Iii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjornJ

Reaction score
Guess what I am doing tomorrow:

photo__9_.JPG

A year ago I got some advice from ThirstyBoy and tried brewing a lager.
Horrible failure, tasted of bananas and unclear as fruit juice. Sound advice, bad brewer :)

Couple of weeks ago I gathered enough courage to try this "lager brewing thing" again.

Pitched 2 new vials of WLP830 in 1,5 litres of wort, next day tipped that into 4 litres, same night tipped that into the main wort.
Next morning no sign of fermentation so I chanced tapping it back into the cube then back to the fermenter to help with more aeration if it was still in the lag phase.

Then .... nothing?? 5 days later at 10 degrees, not a sign of fermentation, clear surface. Nothing.
Tipped in two vials of old S-189 from last March saved from another brew as a last effort before throwing it out.
The 8th day it was fermenting but guessing that's so long it would have an infection for sure.
The WLP830 vials had been in the fridge for a long time, they expired back in May/August.
But I expected them to still work, guessing they were dead all right.

Tasted it today another week later when doing a hydrometer test. Still very unclear, smells ok but has a kind of sour aftertaste.
Guessing it's infected.

So we have to try again;
Will try making TB Lager III tomorrow, just a rebrew of TB Lager II and see how it goes.

Recipe:
Capture.PNG

Wish me luck, hopefully it will kick off this time :D

thanks
Bjorn

best of luck mate nothing like brewing on new years day :)

cheers steve

Hi Steve, thanks for that.

Guessing you'll be designing some kind of electronic brew thingie again.

Any issues, don't be afraid to call.
Not me of course, you know how useful I am around that stuff :lol:

Bjorn

Hi Steve, thanks for that.

Guessing you'll be designing some kind of electronic brew thingie again.

Any issues, don't be afraid to call.
Not me of course, you know how useful I am around that stuff :lol:

Bjorn
I was actually thinking today about what i could make in the new year and i drew a blank, maybe 2012 will be the year for brewing not making stuff :)

got sidetracked by RedBeard yesterday and ended up at Murray's so no brewing.

Will have a go today in stead.
The weather is really nice though, hmm..

Wonder if Murray's is open today? :lol:

only sparged with about 3 litres, did a hydrometer test of the last wort that dripped out from the grain bag.

At least I know I don't over sparge :)

photo__17_.JPG

Latest posts

Back