Tastes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to buy a carton of crownies the other day and actually enjoyed them :ph34r:

Thanks for the reminder. I'd almost forgotten about Burrito. I imagine he still has a garage full of gear and an unrealised dream.

Maybe his fully automated brewery has taken over his internet and has now imprisoned him and holding him as a human slave in his laundry. Either that or his mum wont let him play with us anymore.

I have it on good authority the automated hop portion dispenser with patented overhead underhang was soldered to the wrong board and was last seen revving at 38000 RPM, apparently the papier mache bolts failed on commissioning, the unit was last seen dispensing hops over approximately three suburbs.

050330_genesis_hmed_1p.jpg

Sol is worse. I tried to drink a couple that were left at my place after a BBQ and there was so much DMS in it, it made me and my brother feel physically ill. It IS shite.....sorry if that offends anyone.

I don't think your opinion would offend anyone GalBrew, I think the OP is saying that if I post a thread asking for ideas on making a particular beer why do certain members feel the need to post unhelpful or useless comments regarding cats urinating in fermenters. Perhaps they think they're being witty or amusing :huh: who knows?
On the other hand if I post a thread stating that Corona tastes like cats piss then I would expect there to be plenty of replies, for and against.

The problem is when you get comments like the OP is complaining about it tends to derail the thread and take it way off topic and can be quite frustrating for the members reading the topic who have a genuine interest in it.
There are a few beer styles that I don't like so I don't brew them, and as such I don't really have any practical experience in brewing them so I don't comment in the threads.

Andrew

I don't mind a Corona on a hot day, with lemon. Or with Mexican food.
But in general I prefer beers with a bit more to them.
That said, have you ever tasted Corona WITHOUT lemon or lime? It really is awful. It tastes like nothing. May as well be drinking water.

As to the OP, the big fad of 2012 was to call "bully" whenever someone said something you didn't like on the internet.
It's 2013 man, get with the program!

It's a bit like going on a cooking forum and asking how to make baked beans on toast isn't it? I'm sure that would garner some of the responses the OP mentioned. I thought the whole idea of homebrewing and this forum is to better ourselves and the 'craft' in general? So while it may be somewhat rude for newbies to cop flack when asking how to brew their favorite megaswill cat's piss, I do understand why it happens.

As an academic exercise trying to replicate megaswill brewing techniques can be quite interesting, but for regular consumption.....

I think even fasty might've walked away a little better from this forum...

The taxi drivers of fastyghanistan are at least drinking temp controlled dumbed down beer. Maybe corona should join AHB and get a few tips.

I don't mind a Corona on a hot day, with lemon. Or with Mexican food.
But in general I prefer beers with a bit more to them.
That said, have you ever tasted Corona WITHOUT lemon or lime? It really is awful. It tastes like nothing. May as well be drinking water.

As to the OP, the big fad of 2012 was to call "bully" whenever someone said something you didn't like on the internet.
It's 2013 man, get with the program!

haha true, yeah I'm stopping, it's all good

i'm not talking to everyone here, but to those who attack the styles; why bother? you're picking on someone's taste preference like you would be picking on their not liking a spicy food dish.

rant over.

I think the thing is that on forums people can act a lot more like wankers than they would in person.

I'll give most beers a go, I think nearly all of them have their correct time and place. On our way home yesterday it was bloody hot, so we stopped at a bottle shop and the VB's were very cold. Went down a treat. Same as a corona, served freezing cold on a hot day. A big IAPA was not on the cards in this weather.

vb1.jpg

QldKev

They're really shit beers.

I hope this helps.
It certainly does help.It helps me recognise a typical dumbarse comment from a would-be beer snob. :rolleyes: This open ended type of comment just shows your ignorance and attempt to show some sort of superiority over someone who has a different preference,or more likely someone who has the sense to realise that there's a time and place for all styles of beer. Try a Cascade, fresh on tap in Tassie,bloody lovely drop,perfect for a warm day lawnmower beer.Haven't tried Hahn premium for a few years,but it wasn't too shabby either.(mind you,the original Hahn lager was a classic malty German style,and I'd kill for a few slabs of that) I remember about 20 years ago when Tooheys Blue was introduced,it was a very,very tasty beer that walked all over any macro on the market here at the time,and sub 4% too. Beer snobs...wankers :p

It still comes down the fact that these breweries could make the same styles that taste better. They just don't because they believe two things..

1) Their drinkers like the way it tastes (And rightfully so, you just have look at how VB has changed recently)
2) Their drinkers won't pay that much for beer so they've got to make it cheap. (Or at least cheap enough to keep their profit margins rolling upwards)

Two great reasons why megaswill is the way it is. But let's stop confusing this with beautifully crafted beer. Let's stop that right now. It's just not.

Let's use an analogy....

Say you have a craving for one of those standout steak sandwiches on freshly toasted turkish bread with garlic butter and all of your favourite fresh salads that you get from the milk bar down the road, you don't go to Maccas do you?

Now we all eat Maccas but no one confuses it with an excellently crafted steak sandwich from your favourite local. Yes people do like it and so be it but that does not make it great beer.

Perhaps you are right fletcher, perhaps people should not run their mouths as much as they do. I imagine that if I walked into CUB and attempted to produce their beer I would fail dismally. Just as I would if I landed the head job at Maccas. But I am happy to be the bloke down at the corner shop who makes the outstanding steak sangas just as you may be happy to be the bloke who prefers the commercial product. That's fine, it keeps the barley production rolling for the rest of us.

When i was looking for some ideas to make a coronaish beer the couple of threads I found did not have a single reference to "pissing in a bottle" etc. (apart from 1 OP asking people not to). And really how hard is it to scroll down to the next useful post. If the off topic posts in any 1 given thread take away from the good information the posts get moderated. Any 'bullying' within any thread would not be tolerated! But it is the aussie way to have a dig at a mate who may be doing something different than you, all in good spirit.

When the next person starts a thread on how to brew a Fourex or Tooheys or VB clone, yes they may get a silly reply but you can pretty well gaurantee they will also receive some bloody good information to help them out. ( Unless of course that advice comes from Rowy, he can't brew for shit*)

Cheers

I havnt had a corona for a few years and I remember it as a beer I could drink. Sol on the other hand is terrible and it should be illegal to sell it.

Nothing wrong with a cold fourex bitter on a hot day.

Must be bitterly cold though Brad..........but I agree :beer:

Michael Jackson (the journo not the singer) - really IS , sorry should be "was", the Godfather of beer IMO.
This is what he had to say about Corona, with the exception of VB I have to agree with him.

with Corona, I have always said... "there's nothing to like about it, there's nothing to hate about it".

When a beer is so bland it virtually has no flavour profile, it's tough to form an opinion about it.

It's a bit like going on a cooking forum and asking how to make baked beans on toast isn't it?

Surely the cooking forum would tell you just to open the can, pour into a pot, heat on the stove, and tip on a piece of toast.

They would then go on to tell you that you could do it that way but it will certainly taste pretty average, and if you did think it tastes good you don't know what you are talking about.

The only real way to do it is to pick the beans off the vine personally, make the sauce from freshly grown ingredients, and bake the bread from flour ground with your own personal mill. Anything else is shit!

Back