Tastes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really care for impressing 'friends'.

I do call out mates that sit there miserable drinking my beer out of politeness. I give them a smaller glass next time to save them the suffering.

I'm not a bitterness hophead, tbh, it's the same category as drinking ice cold beer - dumb. Numbing the senses.
If I want that, I'd rather eat really hot food.

I don't dig really high alc beer unless its got a shitload of taste to it. Yes, I'd criticise a 3 mont because it fails in that. I did quit drinking beer for more than 2 years when I first came to oz because it was genuinely shit! Why the hell would I waste time considering one of those again! Bad enough I'm forced to chug one every now and then, I do it quietly, without criticism.

You don't get to go on a high horse defending corona. It's crap. I bet there is a forum dedicated to corona drinkers... Plenty of them around.

They "dis" them because they CANNOT reproduce the clean flavour required for 15 IBU.

Throw a tonne of hops in and all faults are miraculously removed

ala

PS: Nice me too BB

I don't really care for impressing 'friends'.

I do call out mates that sit there miserable drinking my beer out of politeness. I give them a smaller glass next time to save them the suffering.

I'm not a bitterness hophead, tbh, it's the same category as drinking ice cold beer - dumb. Numbing the senses.
If I want that, I'd rather eat really hot food.

I don't dig really high alc beer unless its got a shitload of taste to it. Yes, I'd criticise a 3 mont because it fails in that. I did quit drinking beer for more than 2 years when I first came to oz because it was genuinely shit! Why the hell would I waste time considering one of those again! Bad enough I'm forced to chug one every now and then, I do it quietly, without criticism.

You don't get to go on a high horse defending corona. It's crap. I bet there is a forum dedicated to corona drinkers... Plenty of them around.

i'm not defending the beer at all. some people like it, some people don't. that was (kinda) my point. each to their own.

i guess the majority of people's tastes, on here, have changed from what they preferred ages ago, or even months ago, but i know i started on beers like that, and didn't mind them...now i'm blown away by some of the beers i've tasted and have made, and so my tastes develop. it just seemed to me that there was an ivory tower element to some people in their reply posts. that was all i was trying to get across. i just saw it as a bit...irrelevant really.

Well the crux of this matter is that taste is like art. It's supposedly in the eye of the beholder. But come on..... We all have a knack for spotting the true talent.

Like Nick JD said... You can make beers that will rock your megaswill friends and keep coming back. But it won't be the same and of course we can't reproduce the flavours they get alawishus, we generally don't use the same ingredients, almost certainly don't use the same process and it's just not something we want to do. What we want to do is improve upon it and that's really not hard.

Further to that I am happy to admit that there is a lot of skill to brewing a nice light beer but to suggest that bumping up IBUs to mask imperfections in process is absurd. IBUs won't make a shit beer taste great. In fact it is really quite an art to make a beer with big hop character. Big hop character is like anything else, if it's done right it shows, you can't just toss in hops and hope for the best as you are suggesting, just doesn't work mate.

Now back to Megaswill.... It's just not done right. I should know, I spent years drinking it. In their defence, to think that they produce something as nice as they do using their process is remarkable in itself but it's no excuse for poor beer.

If you can make the same style better (and they can) why would you not?

Money....

That's not a rant...... That's a fact.

Thing is, you can make a version of XXXX or Tooheys or gawg help us, VB that will be familiar to them - but knocks their socks off.

100% Euro Pils malt, US/NZ hop @ 60 minutes only ... and a clean Wyeast lager yeast at 12C, and you have something the megaswillers will freak out over.

Gotta be crystal clear, about 20 IBUs, pale as you can get it, 2.5-3 volumes of Co2 and above all - clean. Hints of bready pils and fruit from hops, but only hints. It's an IPA to them.

Or a Cooper Pale Ale clone :)

Does knock their socks off, and its cheap, and it doesn't have to be clear... most XXXX/Toohey's drinkers will drink a coopers green won't they?

Its my new goto mega-swill appeasement beer

100% Euro Pils malt, US/NZ hop @ 60 minutes only ... and a clean Wyeast lager yeast at 12C, and you have something the megaswillers will freak out over.

Gotta be crystal clear, about 20 IBUs, pale as you can get it, 2.5-3 volumes of Co2 and above all - clean. Hints of bready pils and fruit from hops, but only hints. It's an IPA to them.

agree 100%.

I recently made a bog standard ale. JW ale 90%, cara 10% (don't ask why, it's what I had at hand), POR at 60 mins to 20 IBU. 5.1% ABV.

I can drink it but don't particularly enjoy it.

On the other hand I have a mate who "only drinks Carlton draught"... He can't stand my home brew. He thinks that the brew in question is the dogs bollocks. He loves it... served icy cold.

It's an easy brew and resembles megaswill. If done with care it can taste good.

Or a Cooper Pale Ale clone :)

Does knock their socks off, and its cheap, and it doesn't have to be clear... most XXXX/Toohey's drinkers will drink a coopers green won't they?

Its my new goto mega-swill appeasement beer

My brother drinks nothing but TED, cant stand CPA.....
loves most of the home brew I give him, but he returns to the TED.

As for Corona, its not tasteless, yes its light on flavour but its a flavour pretty much unto itself.
Plenty of people bag it out, a shit load more drink it happily...does that maybe say something...
While were on a roll, never had a trappist beer I enjoyed....would have murdered a Corona with a wedge of lemon and salt at 8.30 tonight after working all arvo in 41c heat.

If you dont like Corona or Sol or any other beer that someone would like to clone go to the 'hate that beer' page.
If you've something constructive or helpfull to add, go for your life.

Fletch, make what you like, my last Mexican attempt is ******* awesome, a little skewed off the Corona course, but awesome just the same.

If you dont like Corona or Sol or any other beer that someone would like to clone go to the 'hate that beer' page.
If you've something constructive or helpfull to add, go for your life

100% mate.

If you've something constructive or helpfull to add, go for your life.
I don't understand how this stops the beer from being shit but?

Good beer (what ever that might be) tastes like beer ingredients.

I don't understand how this stops the beer from being shit but?

Good beer (what ever that might be) tastes like beer ingredients.

you're not the godfather of beer though mate. i think it tastes nice; adjuncts and all.

i ranted because i felt it's unbecoming of a community to have people talk of "adding cat piss" and "urinate in it for 3 days" et al, when offering 'help'. i realise i'm barking up the wrong tree though and having the argument fall on many deaf ears, and i've accepted it. it's interesting to see those other opinions though. i agree wholeheartedly with what dent and nick have said in prior posts.

you're not the godfather of beer though mate. i think it tastes nice; adjuncts and all.
Who is telling you not to think it?

Not sure what "the godfather of beer" is supposed to be though - or even what you think it means.

Here's what bothers me about the common behaviours of this board (if that's what this thread is about) - people assuming that what motivates them motivates others. In this very thread I have read you suggesting that people have turned their back on the beer they so loved when they started brewing and that they started brewing to emulate those beers just because this is what motivated you. How has it not crossed your mind that there must be many amongst our number that are attracted to brewing so we don't have to drink the rancid sedative of the great unwashed?

Who is telling you not to think it?

Not sure what "the godfather of beer" is supposed to be though - or even what you think it means.

Here's what bothers me about the common behaviours of this board (if that's what this thread is about) - people assuming that what motivates them motivates others. In this very thread I have read you suggesting that people have turned their back on the beer they so loved when they started brewing and that they started brewing to emulate those beers just because this is what motivated you. How has it not crossed your mind that there must be many amongst our number that are attracted to brewing so we don't have to drink the rancid sedative of the great unwashed?

i don't recall suggesting that what motivates me motivates others or everyone (given i'm emulating a common board behaviour), but only that it has for some; and yet when those ask for suggestions, they're given many of the above answers. i'll admit to my rant being fruitless. i've had a few though so my perception is a bit off now and i don't feel as strongly about my point as i did initially. i don't care anymore.

my godfather of beer comment was related to people being made to feel ashamed for asking for assistance with beers emulating those lighter, adjunct-y style beers. what you think is shit doesn't equate to that what they think is shit. that they seemed to have felt as though what they were asking was beneath home brewing as a hobby/art form/bit of fun/whatever is and was a bit disconcerting to me.

in answer to your first question, no one has come out and said it, or told me not to think as such but it is inferred with the "insert 2 litres of cat piss" comments. i understand though that this is the fucken internet and anything goes; and that if someone was to post something like that then they need to be prepared for those answers because many here don't want to associate with drinking rancid sedative of the great unwashed.

i like conversing with you, bum. you make some very interesting points.

I was typing a comment in this topic when Dane closed it down last night and I had gone into too much detail as I do, sometimes, so in one way I am glad my post did not appear,

Fletcher, Australian Lager is a STYLE as is American Lager etc etc, if you like that style then brew it.

For the sake of fitting in with the vocal majority some on here add their own comments, be it, I feel, mainly for humour, which adds to the character of the forum but probably doesn't really help with constructive analysis of the style.
There is a skill involved in brewing a light coloured lager as there is nowhere for any faults in the process to hide so if you like that style then go for it and stuff the rest of 'em.

Oh! And just for the record I think most wheat beers taste like vomit and I wouldn't brew one if you gave me the ingredients but that is just me. :lol:

No, Corona is definitely shit beer with definite flaws (I get rancid corn flavours from it compared to, say, Peroni). It is cheap and nasty and then we are dumb enough to accept it as some kind of premium import. Muppetbrau.

And if you don't like food which is 50% by weight chilli and garlic, then you are a douche.

Thanks for the reminder. I'd almost forgotten about Burrito. I imagine he still has a garage full of gear and an unrealised dream.

Maybe his fully automated brewery has taken over his internet and has now imprisoned him and holding him as a human slave in his laundry. Either that or his mum wont let him play with us anymore.

No, Corona is definitely shit beer with definite flaws (I get rancid corn flavours from it compared to, say, Peroni). It is cheap and nasty and then we are dumb enough to accept it as some kind of premium import. Muppetbrau.

And if you don't like food which is 50% by weight chilli and garlic, then you are a douche.

Sol is worse. I tried to drink a couple that were left at my place after a BBQ and there was so much DMS in it, it made me and my brother feel physically ill. It IS shite.....sorry if that offends anyone.

Sol is worse. I tried to drink a couple that were left at my place after a BBQ and there was so much DMS in it, it made me and my brother feel physically ill. It IS shite.....sorry if that offends anyone.

I havnt had a corona for a few years and I remember it as a beer I could drink. Sol on the other hand is terrible and it should be illegal to sell it.

Nothing wrong with a cold fourex bitter on a hot day.

Back