Tastes like yeast has been stressed (over temp) but has been treated f

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkaos

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've started brewing again now that I've got my own place. I'm starting with kits to fill the kegs then will get back on the grain.

I've made a few batches so far and they are tasting ok in the fermenter at around 2 weeks, then I leave them for maybe another week or less and keg. By this stage though the beer has changed and tastes like the beer has been exposed to high heat. It's a really strong flavour, and the beer is not balanced anymore at all.

I use gladwrap for lids, not sure where the lids are as I think I've tossed them all away. I've noticed a little bit of mold growing on the top of the fermenter lip towards the end of fermentation. I'm wondering is this getting in the beer and spoiling it?

At this stage I can only think of trying to brew as quickly as possible, and measure the gravity frequently. Then when it's ready keg is straight away and see what happens?

I'm really confused as I used to be able to pump out some great AG batches, and now i'm struggling with kits.

Thanks in advance!

One brew was a Nut Brown Ale FWK, used a couple of packs of Coopers dry yeast. Brewed at around 18-20.

Another was a Coopers English Bitter, with one of the brew enhancers.

It's a lot more drinkable, just a hint of that taste shining through. The real test is going to be a stout that I've got going, because it was tasting great recently but now we're up to that critical point in time where it may have turned.

If you've got stuff growing on fermenters, it's time to get new fermenters.

Thanks manticle, It has happened multiple times now, so I will bin the lot of them and start fresh.

Latest posts

Back