Tassie Brewers Beware

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
Just wanted to know about what to see and do whilst in the apple isle??
We've checked out the Discover Tassie website and was after some local info on what not to miss, around winter time.
Maybe a catch up for the big four in the state??

Boags and Cascade both do tours. There's a start for ya :)

I've heard a sandwich in a park is nice there :lol:

Batz :ph34r:

Or watching TV :lol:

Batz :ph34r:

sorry one of those moods of mine tonight :blink:

Mongrel! :p

Give me until Sunday/Monday and I'll get back to you Linz. I'm up north for the weekend and away from my broadband and it's driving me nuts-bloody dial up.

What sort of things were you after and what do you want to see? Beer related (of course) and normal sight seeing bizzo?

Give me an outline of where you'll be and how long and I'll see if I can help out. At worst we might have to organise to grab a beer or two. Also should see if we can rouse a few other Tassie lads as well.

Cheers, Justin

Justin,
We'll be doing a lap of the Isle. That's why I wanted to know if the travel books/website may have missed something.
Any interesting Micro's?? The big 2 is a bit of a given, and maybe see if we can get to a hop farm(if its worth it??). A fair bit of sightseeing too.

Which corner would be the best for a get together?? ;)

Going to a hop farm sounds like a good idea. Also, there's two small distilleries in Hobart that might be worth visiting.

Speaking of holidaying in Tassie.... I'll be in Tassie (well Hobart & Richmond anyway) this weekend too...

Am flying in on Thursday.

Then off to tackle the 'South Coast Track' on Sunday morning with Lou, my girlfriend..... The South Coast Track is a remote & seldom walked section of the South West National Park that begins by being dropped of by light plain at an isolated old tin mine. It then follows the southern coastline east past the south cape of Tasmania to Cockle Creek, a tiny settlement at the end of the most southern road in Tasmania!... It should take us 8 days if weather is good. (i.e rivers not flooded & mountain ranges passable...snowing down there ATM)

I'm a bit worried.... 8 days without beer :eek:

Asher for now :wacko:

Asher. Send a smoke signal and I may be able to drop you off a couple of beverages by air drop ;).

Fingers crossed with the weather. We just had a bad week but this week is supposed to be superb. Hope it holds out for you.

Will still get back to you today Linz. Bit busy atm.

Cheers, JD

Ok Linz. Finally getting back to you.

Guessing you'll have the basics covered such as Cradle Mountain (nearly a given for all visitors), Wine glass bay etc. But depending on your exact interests you'll probably already know most of the big stuff from the Discover Tassie site.

If you like your wines you could do worse than to take a tour through the Tamar Valley wine region, near Launceston. Although I haven't presonally done it all reports say it's a nice trip. You also have the Coal Valley wine region near Hobart (and near Richmond where Asher is off to above), only about 20mins out of Hobart. There are also wineries in the Huon Valley south of Hobart, the area alone is worth the visit for the scenery. Pity you wont be here in the summer/autumn to take advantage of the plethora of fresh fruit such as cherries, apples etc.

Up north near Elizabeth Town (15mins out of Devonport) there are places such as Ashgrove Farm Cheese, my best mate is actually the head cheese maker but also the lady might like to visit D'anvers Chocolate Factory which also is only about 5mins out of Devonport (recommended, the belgian truffles are wicked, free samples too ;) ). If you still want chocolate a tour at Cadburys will soon wear out your lust for chocolate.

What I can recommend is the two brewery tours, Boag's in Launceston ~$16 (4 beers to sample at the end), and Cascade ~$?? can't remeber how much, but once again a number of samples at the end. I personally liked the Boags one much better.

As for micros?? If you find one let me know ;) Nah they are thin on the ground here mate. You have breweries like Hazards, they produce a Hazards ale and if your lucky they have another one which illudes me atm. We used to have a brew pub called St. Ives which was in Sandy Bay(Hobart) who had a number of beers on tap, but due to a change in business strategy they no longer produce there own beers but sell bottled crap and premixes at cheap (near bottleshop) prices to get the teeny boppers in. Shame.

Dark Isle has started producing a number of beers. They are the brew on premises place here in Hobart. They are all extract beers IMHO are not particularly fantastic but if your interested give them a try. They have about half a dozen beers and you can find the beers in a number of places around the state.

Hobart has it's nice points. A trip up the mountain will get you excellent views of the city and the channel area. There are some great resterants to check out too.

What else does one do? :unsure: Anything in particular that you want to do/are interested in? Personally I'd eat good Tassie produce ;)

Anyway, if your interested fire me off a pm when your heading down and we can catch up for a beer if you like (I'm in Hobart). Might even have something on tap possibly ;) :D. If the timings right there may even be a brew going on at someones house to drop in on and give your expert opinion on. I think there are a couple of brewers on this site from Tassie. If they pipe up a little drinking session could be lined up ;)

Cheers, Justin

Thanks Justin,

Your karma has worked and we are pushing the trip back to a more moderate weather temp.......'cause we are going to the Australian Beer awards in Melbourne first. Then later in the year we'll be coming over to Tasmania.

We really want to get to a few native animal parks and the like(not as far into it as Asher is), and also feast on the fresh foods down there too.

Thanks again

Me and the missus went to Tassie mid way through last year for a week and really enjoyed it. d'Anvers is a no brainer, as is the cheese place. Unfortunately I couldn't make either of the brewery tours so can't comment there. You'll really need to do your homework to find a hop farm that lets you onto their property - they are usually all quarantined to stop disease spreading and aren't particularly welcoming. We went to the Bushy Park area just out of Hobart and, while it was a nice drive, there wasn't a chance for tours, except for one pokey little Museum (missed out on that too!)

The Cadbury factory is well and truly worth a look - but not at 8:30 in the morning like we did because they fill you up with chocolate! Also recommend Port Arthur - amazing history. Other than that, if you end up at St Helens go to the wharf and find the little paddle steamer restaurant - it's tiny but the couple that run it are brilliant and the food is fantatstic.

Chatty

Hi Justin,

I believe that Hazards still brew at St. Ives, well, that's what the Hazard guy said at this years Taste.

And if your after Hops, one lady at Bushy Park is happy to give rhizomnes away, if you come and pick them up... i dodn't get a chance last year.

Cheers,
Andy..
----

Justin said:
Ok Linz. Finally getting back to you.

We used to have a brew pub called St. Ives which was in Sandy Bay(Hobart) who had a number of beers on tap, but due to a change in business strategy they no longer produce there own beers but sell bottled crap and premixes at cheap (near bottleshop) prices to get the teeny boppers in. Shame.

Anyway, if your interested fire me off a pm when your heading down and we can catch up for a beer if you like (I'm in Hobart). Might even have something on tap possibly ;) :D. If the timings right there may even be a brew going on at someones house to drop in on and give your expert opinion on. I think there are a couple of brewers on this site from Tassie. If they pipe up a little drinking session could be lined up ;)

Cheers, Justin
[post="41292"][/post]​

oh, and if you do come to Tassie, you must go to D'anvers for breakfast...
nothing nicer than the ocean trout baguette with a Duvel....

cheers,
somnar..

Tassie is definitely worth the trip..... even without beer!

Here's some pics from the South Coast:

Ironbound range with Louisa bay below
Ironbound_range_with_Louisa_bay_below.JPG

Precipitus Bluff from Osmiridium Beach
Precipitus_Bluff_from_Osmiridium_Beach.JPG

South Cape Rivulet at dawn. (Its only a day walk from Cockle Creek to here!)
South_Cape_Rivulet_at_dawn.JPG

Back