Tasmanian Home Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froidy

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I am a home brewer from Penguin, Tasmania.
Got the bug about six months ago and have been going strong ever since! Love the money I'm saving although as I get more into it the less I save haha, that and the fact that my mates love beer, love MY beer and won't get their own damn fermenter kits! They keep talking about wanting to do it but I think you need the motivation which they are lacking but if they could just start they would see the passion :) Going to have to cut them off lol
I only brew kits at the moment due to time and space constraints but would love to get more into extract brewing with your help ;)
I have started dabbling with extra hops, different yeasts and fermentables etc but still have a lot to learn! This looks like a great site, thanks for having me. I am a member of a few American sites but they suck because everything is in the wrong measurements/temperatures! haha
Talk soon
Leigh

G'day Leigh,

There's a few of us floating around the NW Coast now. Lagerbomb is in Burnie, and I'm in Shearwater, though I work in Devonport (and tend to drive around the place a bit).

I'm an AG brewer (look for 2 pot stovetop method) with the ghetto-ist equipment, but a couple of Qld awards to say that it isn't that hard and you don't need that much equipment.

I'm a bit anti-extract (as I've been down the path from kits to extract to AG) - most of the variables in extract are the same as AG, and the cost far lower.

There's also a number of brewers in Launnie direction as well, one who now owns a brewery and one working at another local brewery.

Ask away, this forum is fantastic. You just missed out on a bottle swap (and the giant hangover that precedes it), but I'm sure if you keep an eye on the Tasmanian Brewers Club (not that there is a 'club', but it's a spot for stuff happening down here).

Again, welcome, good to have another Taswegian on board (though most of us are actually exiled Qlders).

Goomba

Appears you have not been told; this IS an american site.

Hello froidy. I have a mate who just bought a patch of Penguin on a headland along Penguin Rd.

I think IanH(?) lives near Penguin.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

PS Screw a milo tin to the fridge door and tell your buddies beers are a buck each.

Welcome to the forum froidy. There are a few of us around on the NW coast mainly all grain brewers but I am sure we can help with extract.

If into Excel check out the Kit & Extract spreadsheet pinned to the Kits & Extracts Forum

ianh said:
Welcome to the forum froidy. There are a few of us around on the NW coast mainly all grain brewers but I am sure we can help with extract.

If into Excel check out the Kit & Extract spreadsheet pinned to the Kits & Extracts Forum
Just realised my post sounded like I wouldn't help an extract brewer!

Not the case, more the fact that @OP said he was looking to go from kits to extract, and I would say that if you want to progress from kits, then AG is just as easy as extract (though more time consuming in some senses, though not having prehopped extract means that a full boil for hoppage needs to happen....).

I reckon anyone in this forum will help and it's good to have another NW Coaster on board.

Welcome froidy. I'm just along the road in Burnie. Always interested in helping a new brewer. If you are interested, I am happy to give you a run through with an all grain beer, which, if you bring a cube with you, you can take home and ferment. Wont take long to switch to all grain from there. I'm also happy to show you either, 2v herms, 3v herms or Biab. I could even do an extract for you. Havent done one of those for about 3 years.
If you are interested, I can also help with cheap altenatives to setting up a biab system.
Otherwise, PM me and call in for a beer. Nearly always have a few beers on tp.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Hi there Froidy.
We are starting to get a good spread of brewers along the coast. I'm at Eugenana near Devonport. I've been brewing all grain for nearly 12 months but before that played with extracts and kits. Plenty of hours of reading on here. If you do decide to move into AG keep an eye out for the bulk buys which will cut your costs down even more.

Cheers
Taz

Welcome Froidy,
good to see more brewers along the coast. If you ever have any questions or are around the Smithton area drop me a PM.

Cheers
Chris

TasChris said:
Welcome Froidy,
or are around the Smithton area

Cheers
Chris
Dont do it man, its aint worth it,
Its full of humpheads, and dare I say it, inbreds. You know all the Tasmanian jokes originated from Smithton.
LagerBomb

LagerBomb said:
Dont do it man, its aint worth it,
Its full of humpheads, and dare I say it, inbreds. You know all the Tasmanian jokes originated from Smithton.
LagerBomb
Hey!!

Been meaning to give you a call LB and drop some beers around. Will do next time i am in Burnie!

Sounds good TC. Cant reciprocate atm, pretty much wiped out of bottled stock. May have something on tap though.
Cheers
LB

Gryphon Brewing said:
Humpheads, do explain ?
I got referred to as a "nonchalant Tasmanian humphead" by a troll some years ago and used it as my signiture

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Shame this forum doesn't have an app or support Tapatalk, I would be able to get on here much easier and reply! haha
Didn't realise the forum was American.......duh!! .com!!! haha had to eat my words there ;)

431neb said:
Hello froidy. I have a mate who just bought a patch of Penguin on a headland along Penguin Rd.

I think IanH(?) lives near Penguin.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

PS Screw a milo tin to the fridge door and tell your buddies beers are a buck each.
Hmmmm......great idea! haha I keep telling them to buy a Coopers DIY fermenter kit for $89 already!

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Just realised my post sounded like I wouldn't help an extract brewer!

Not the case, more the fact that @OP said he was looking to go from kits to extract, and I would say that if you want to progress from kits, then AG is just as easy as extract (though more time consuming in some senses, though not having prehopped extract means that a full boil for hoppage needs to happen....).

I reckon anyone in this forum will help and it's good to have another NW Coaster on board.
Nah mate that's cool I knew what you meant and that you are no home brew snob lol
Cheers I'm sure I can use all the help and experience I can get ;)

LagerBomb said:
Welcome froidy. I'm just along the road in Burnie. Always interested in helping a new brewer. If you are interested, I am happy to give you a run through with an all grain beer, which, if you bring a cube with you, you can take home and ferment. Wont take long to switch to all grain from there. I'm also happy to show you either, 2v herms, 3v herms or Biab. I could even do an extract for you. Havent done one of those for about 3 years.
If you are interested, I can also help with cheap altenatives to setting up a biab system.
Otherwise, PM me and call in for a beer. Nearly always have a few beers on tp.
Cheers
LagerBomb
Thanks heaps man, I really appreciate the offer! I pretty much work in Burnie most days so it would be on my way past :) I'll shoot you a PM. I am only making kits with extra hops at this stage but I think they are coming out pretty well even for kits, I've been fanatical with temperature control (ale yeasts) and sanitisation and I would be happy to bring you round a couple of bottles to try.....even though I'm sure they won't compare to AG! haha
Speaking of which I would LOVE to try an AG beer, maybe then I'll know what I'm missing ;)
Such a good forum to be a part of, I have the passion for home brew and no mates to share it with that understand :( They love to drink it but there is just something so satisfying in drinking your own creation and loving it more than any other commercial beer out there.
Cheers also TasChris, I used to be in Smithton once a month for work at my old job but haven't been there now in yonks, not a bad place, all the guys I know from up there are legends! I used to catch up with Kirk Chatwin (sparky at Greenham's) all the time at the Bridge and Tall Timbers for lunch time beers!! haha

Now to sort out a profile pic.....had one of my home brew but says it is too big? Hmm may need to find a program to downsize it :)

froidy said:
Speaking of which I would LOVE to try an AG beer, maybe then I'll know what I'm missing ;)
When I was living in Brisbane - I had a newish forum member come around in reply to a gumtree ad and grab some groslch swing tops I had on there.

I think he was about 3 kit brews in. He tried one of my beers (really basic yellow ale with a single 60 minute willamette addition). He was extremely skeptical about the difference between AG and kit.

He went out that weekend and bought a massive amount of equipment and has more bling than I could even dream of using.

froidy said:
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Shame this forum doesn't have an app or support Tapatalk, I would be able to get on here much easier and reply! haha
Didn't realise the forum was American.......duh!! .com!!! haha had to eat my words there ;)
It wasrecently sold on to an American, the form is Australian.

Smithton, hempheads would be more appropriate wouldn't it??

Latest posts

Back