Tasmanian Beer Voted World's Best Amber

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kudos to Cascade!

Has anyone tried the Hahn Special vintage?

I remember Cascade's brewers bitching about the price of brewing this drop... something along the lines of "we probably won't continue with the 4 Seasons range because it's not profitable". I remember JSB saying how expensive it was to brew the Australian Strong Ale, but that you need to spend a little more to brew a good beer! I may be entirely biased in my recall tho :)

That was the cool thing about the MSB.
They produced the Australian Strong Ale that was higher in alcohol so used more ingredients and attracted higher tax, yet they still sold it as the some price as normal six packs.
And they sold all 5000 cases in a couple of weeks.
But in doing so they have endeared themselves to beer lovers like us. I'll also be buying it again this year assuming they make it again. Although I have cloned it pretty well :D

Beers,
Doc

Redback won silver? Last time i tried it, it was so crap that the bar lady told me the tasting notes actually recommend sticking lemon in it. Y'only do that to cover the taste of crap beer, I reckon.

Kai said:
the tasting notes actually recommend sticking lemon in it. Y'only do that to cover the taste of crap beer, I reckon.
To be fair the matilda bay web site acknowledges that this is a very 80's thing to do.

Redback - Silver - well deserved I say

thought I heard a line that they were going to shift redback back to the way it was originally brewed, flavours and all

I'D like to have that again linz.
If you don't like red back now i don't think you'll like the actual original.
Made by are friends before they ever thought of little creatures.
Iam wishing i had more of their beers back then.

jayse

Kai said:
Redback won silver? Last time i tried it, it was so crap that the bar lady told me the tasting notes actually recommend sticking lemon in it. Y'only do that to cover the taste of crap beer, I reckon.
Wrong. Lemon is commonly served with even the best German weissbiers and weizens. The lemons' sourness balances the palate. Weizen/Weiss are traditionally brewed with very low IBUs, so adding lemon for sourness (instead of hop bitterness) makes the drink more refreshing.

There was an article on Little Creatures in the paper a week or so ago. They now sell more beer in the rest of Australia than in WA. They thought about building a plant over East, but decided to increase capacity here instead. They have also just set up a deal to sell Little Creatures in a supermarket chain in the UK.

PostModern said:
Kai said:
Wrong. Lemon is commonly served with even the best German weissbiers and weizens. The lemons' sourness balances the palate. Weizen/Weiss are traditionally brewed with very low IBUs, so adding lemon for sourness (instead of hop bitterness) makes the drink more refreshing.
Not entirely wrong. Lemon also covers staleness and taint from cans

Back